Sudden Eye swelling and throat discomfort (allergy?)
I am having an allergy problem since 2 years have had it 3 times till now.

My eyes suddenly start swelling with some discomfort in my throat. The swelling is so sudden that within about 15 mins, my eyes are completely swollen. I get some itching in the eyes and throat. It always starts with one eye and after one eye is swollen the other one starts. First time it was not very severe so I ignored it. But the second time it happened it was very severe in terms of swelling and I had to rush to an emergency room. All the three time it has happened outdoors. Once I was in a Bus, 2nd when I was in a mall and 3rd when I was in a Hair Salon. 3 monhts gap between 1st and 2nd and almost 18months between 2nd and 3rd.

The doctors keep saying that I am allergic to some airborne allergens, but can't say what it could be as it is difficult to identify and no specific solution. And since I get itching in the throat as well, they asked me to keep an Epipen in case of life threatening conditions. I was prescribed Zyrtec for about 20 days.

Today I got the 3rd attack of this allergy. Swelling is less severe than the last one, but I have more itching in the throat and pain too. I can feel my tonsils have swollen a bit. It took almost 1 hour for the first eye to swell and then the second one started. The swelling is more in the corner between upper nose and upper eyelid (below the start of eye-brow) and when i touch it, it feels hard inside.

What should I do next? Do I need to see an eye specialist or a better allergist. Any good doctors in Chicago Area?
Thanks in advance.
Naaz
this very same thing happened me today and i really wish i knew why because it was terrible although my eyes had been itching for about a week as well as a sore/itchy throat and nose and i had been rubbing them intensely and i also wear contacts, in approx 15 mins my left eye had swollen shut i was leaving the mall.  Went to emergency room and got no answers!  It was like my eyes said, today is the day no more itching!

All these are symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Airborne allergies can affect anyone at any time of the day. You can be allergic to pollen, dust mites, molds etc.Pls log on to the following website for checking out the various causes of airborne allergy:

http://www.theallergyreliefcenter.com/airborne_allergy.htm

Pls undergo skin ***** tests or blood tests like RAST to find out the causative specific allergen. For that you need to consult an immunologist/allergy specialist.

You can bathe your eyes with water or apply cool compresses on the eyes. Stay indoors during peak airborne allergy and hay fever seasons. Prevention is always better than cure.

You can also use antihistaminic eye drops. But don’t use them for more than 6 weeks without a doctor’s advice. Oral antihistaminics like benadryl or zyrtec (which you are already using) are also helpful. Sometimes decongestants and corticosteroids are to be used.

If still the symptoms persist then you have to go in for immunotherapy.Pls discuss these options with a good allergy specialist.

Take care and do keep us posted on how you are doing.