Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden appearance of black bruises + pain in leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi, this afternoon I was sitting down to use the restroom when I noticed a two small purplish-black bruises on the inside edge of my upper shin, about 3-4 inches below the knee. One is about 1cm across and the other is 2-3cm across, and if I gently press the bigger bruise in the right spot I feel mild pain.

The reason I'm worried is that the bruise appeared suddenly, and right above the bigger bruise I can feel a pea-sized tender bump. The bruise hasn't grown or changed in the last 2 hours, so I'm wondering if there is any way to tell whether it's a harmless damaged vessel from an injury, or something more serious like a burst aneurysm?
1 Comment

It is possible that these bruises may have formed after you hurt yourself.Did you rememeber yourself hurting recently?

If there is no history of any recent trauma,then these bruises may have formed due to anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid.Apply some cold compresses on the bruise and keep that leg elevated. Take iron supplements and multivitamins for some days and see if you get any more bruises without any trauma.

If yes,then pls consult a physician and a vascular surgeon and discuss the possibilities of aplastic anemia,leukemia,liver disorders , SLE,bone marrow disorders,venous insufficiency and coagulopathies.These possibilities need thorough investigations and should be treated specifically.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.