Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden blackouts in vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sudden blackouts in vision

Hi. I am a 21yr old female with no health problems so far as far as i know. Sometimes when I'm coming back up after bending down on the floor or even if im coming back down from a chair i feel a sudden blackout in vision which lasts for a few seconds. I'm not sure if it is because of the change in height, which is not that much so was just wondering what could be wrong and if its normal. Any input on what this could possibly be is appreciated. Thank You.

You are right. The blackouts you feel are related to the height. What you have is orthostatic hypotension, that is, fall in blood pressure due to change of posture. This results in feeling faint and blackouts. This could be due to some medications you take, some heart problem, some neurological problem, anemia or dehydration. Most commonly you should look at diabetes and anemia as the cause, if you are otherwise healthy as you say. I am giving you two links that you can read for more information. However this is only to increase your information. It is not a substitute for medical advice. Please consult your physician and you may need some simple blood tests.

Please refer: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/medical/orthostatic.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else.

There can be several possibilities for your symptoms. For syncope/black outs to occur, either the reticular activating system in the brain needs to lose its blood supply, or both hemispheres of the brain need to be deprived of blood, oxygen, or glucose.

So it can be due to fall in BP, hypoglycemia, dehydration and inadequate electrolytes(sodium and calcium) in the body, postural hypotension, blockage of arteries supplying blood to the brain esp. the carotids,anemia,vasovagal attacks or underlying neurological conditions.

Pls get your blood sugar and blood pressure levels monitored.Also take some iron supplements for some days.They should help.At such a young age,if black outs are occurring esp while getting up,it seems like orthostatic hypotension(low BP).Pls get it evaluated by a physician.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.