Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden illness in father

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sudden illness in father

Help!  My father was in Canada a week ago, on one of his bi-annual boating trips.  He came down with a sudden illness and has been ill for a week and a half now.  All symptoms came on at once...he vomited only once and it was pure bile.  Since then, he has had diarrhea, jaundice of the eyes, dark urine, EXTREME fatigue, high fever.  He was bad enough to keep them from getting home when they were supposed to, as he couldn't drive the boat for days.  The past few days, it began occuring to some of us in his family that he has had yellowing of the eyes at different times in the past year.  That and he has been sick a lot this year off and on...head colds and the flu more than once.  He is a vegetarian, so he didn't eat any bad meat.  He also owns a body shop and has been around metals, paints and chemicals for 12 hours a day for 30+ years.  He was on vacation for days prior to coming down with the illness in Canada.  Anyone have any clues?
You describe all the symptoms of viral hepatitis or some other liver problem. Dark urine is a BIG clue for hepatitis as are the other symptoms you describe. Your Dad needs to have his liver checked right away. I'd get him tested for all viral hepatitis' A B and C. You can pic it up and not have any history that would indicate you were expsoed.
Hi - Has your father been checked for a parasitic infectation?
oops, that should be either infection or infestation!  Could it be hepatitis - I don't know if it comes on that abruptly!