Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sudden knee pain

I'm 65 year women... I have not been excersizing because of some GI health problems and know that it is not good to be sitting for too long.  I also have Fibromyalgia and use to pain.  This afternoon I stood up and my knee have out, lots of pain on the inside of the right knee and is very hard to walk because of the pain. I am 6'5" and 155lbs  at rest it is constant pain even in the knee-cap and down the inside of my leg.  I tried to move the knee in different directions and found that I have a spot that is very painful when I stand on the right foot and lean it to the right...it really gives out.  What kinds of things could cause this pain for no reason at all.  I know I am in bad shape physcally because of health and now this.

Any suggestions, is it dangerous (veins)?  Can I just let it go and see if it goes away?

Thanks in advance for any help.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Sudden onset knee pain can be due to ligament tear, bursitis, meniscus injury or due to dislocation of patella. The pain can be severe enough to be felt throughout the leg. The location of the knee pain can be a useful guide. Pain in the front portion of the knee can be caused by bursitis (inflammation of the lining of the joint, possible due to injury while playing), arthritis (have already explained), or injury to the patella cartilage (front portion of the knee). Pain on either sides of the knee is usually related to meniscal tears, injuries to the collateral ligaments, and even to arthritis. Please consult an orthopedic specialist. Take care!