Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden loss of vision and hearing for short periods of time.

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

My brother is 15 years of age, and has suffered from sudden loss of hearing and vision at the same time twice now. The doctor we went to has no idea what may be causing this. Both times it's happened at school, and it only lasts for a short period of time. Any ideas as to what may be causing this and what we could do for him?

~Tanya
that sounds like he was maybe about to faint to me.. i recently had a surgery that they went through an artery for, and it came open when i stood up, and the drop in my blood pressure made me not be able to see or hear right before i passed out. maybe he just has low blood pressure? he should probably see a doctor though
Avatar n tn
Is is both sides?  If only one side, could be a temporary swelling of something in the brain putting pressure on the nerves, but if both sides that seems unlikely.

Does it happen in relation to anything else?  Right after hard exercise that could increase blood presure?
Avatar n tn
     I have spent 5 years active duty in the military bomb squad (EOD or Explosive Ordnance Disposal) I lose hearing in one ear at times, sometimes as often as twice a week. Not vision though. I will go completely deaf in one ear, for sometimes just a minute or two, and sometimes half an hour or more. It is somewhat embarassing to admit this, but I'm not sure if it only happens to one ear or both. I really need to write down which ear it is.
     Every time I tell a military doctor, they just say that they've never heard of this condition, and say not to worry about it. My blood pressure is fine, and I have met two other people who have the same problem. They both tell me that the doctors basically act like they are trying to fake something. I just don't know what this is, and it worries me a little bit. Any ideas?
Has anything been discovered about your brother's symptoms and what was causing it? I can see your post was a good 3 years ago, but my best friend (18 years of age) has just recently been experiencing the same symptoms - temporary loss of vision and hearing for a short period of time. She says her eyes black out and she can't see anything, though when others look at her, she still looks normal, and she can't hear anything. This has happened to her yesterday and today...both during her clinical rotation at a hospital. She is at Day Surgery in the hospital and she tells me that it occurs when she has not even seen anything bloody or smelled anything weird. She originally thought it was just low blood sugar or something, but it still happened today even after she made sure to eat. Help, please?
A related discussion, Loss of vision and hearing was started.