Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sudden ot: Crippling pain fingers,knees, and hips AND farsighted high b...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Sudden ot: Crippling pain fingers,knees, and hips AND farsighted high blood pressure

First of all, I am a 40 yr old 5' 8", 145lb, athletic female. My health was fine up until about 2 months ago when suddenly, EVERYTHING seems to be going wrong. It first started with terrible headaches. I have only had two headaches my ENTIRE life, so I am assuming that the ones I was experiencing would be considered as migranes (migraines), as they lasted for days, light and tv made my eyes water, and ibuprofen did nothing. Then, about 3 wks later, I simultaneously started experiencing excruciating pain in my LEFT knee. (that knee has never been injured or operated on).  The pain is so intense and almost crippling at times. I dont know how to describe it because it is a "different" kind of pain that feel almost foreign to my body. ( I have had numerous sports injuries and nothing compares). As the weeks have progressed, I now have constant bilateral aching in my hips.  As if this isnt enough, I am SUDDENLY farsighted. (never wore glasses or have had any visual ailments). I actually have to carry reading glasses everywhere.  I dont have headaches anymore, but SUDDENLY have high blood pressure.. 166/126..that is CRAZY!! I usually run about 110/68 and have for ever since I can remember. ( The only health issue I have is SVT and have been on a beta blocker since I was 23.) I thought that my vision and headaches could be caused from blood pressure so I started checking it daily...boy was I surprised. On top of all of this, I now have a couple of fingers on my LEFT hand that surge with pain ONLY when I sleep. When I go to move in my sleep it will actually wake me up.  My sciatic nerve is horrible as well, but that has been going on for two years. I consider myself as having an above average tolerance for pain, as I have sutured myself on numerous occasions without anesthetic and opted for no drugs during the delivery of my now, 8yr old son.  I currently have no health insurance; otherwise I would have already been to see some specialists.. Since I was a surgical nurse for 16yrs, I can think of individual possible reasons for each of these problems, but what scares me, is that it has all happened at once. Could it be MS, lupus, heavy metal poisoning, Lyme, or is it just that I am 40? It doesnt make sense to me that all of this has occured to me in less than 2 months time and prior to this I was playing softball 2nightes a week and sand volleyball for 4 sessions without any issues at all. Does getting old really happen this quick, or should I be concerned?  IThank you for your time.. I could really use some sound advice.
1 Comment
You should be concerned, I believe.  Your blood pressure is way too high.  Plasma free metaneprhine blood test, considered the most sensitive for detecting pheochromocytoma comes to mind, with sudden high blood pressure and severe headache.  

What about getting a field of vision test?  Any time a new kind of severe headache happens, the doctor should do a brain scan to check for tumors, etc..   See PM about high BP.