Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Sulphur eggy burps,Stomach pain, vomiting, wind(fart)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For several years now i have been suffering from what i jokingly call "eggy burp syndrome", it starts with slight bloating in my stomach followed by horrible disgusting sulphur smelling burps all the while the bloating gets worse then approx 6 hours after i get the most awfully painful stomach cramps it is excruciating there is only a 1 second temp relief at the exact moment i pass wind or burp this is followed by severe vomiting which is a green brown bile colour which itself smells of rotten feces, the final stage is gallons of diarrhea, usually when i eventually finish, the pain subsides slightly but as you can imagine after one and a half days of this i am dehydrated and exhausted. last year i had the worst bout ever and spent four and a half weeks in hospital where i was given scans, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, blood tests and countless other tests but they all turned up nothing. I am getting to the end of my tether as the bouts are coming once or twice a month now. Any help advice would be appreciated, Thanks Barry
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There are some bacteria in the gut that produce hydrogen sulfide gas. This gas has a smell of rotten eggs. Most of this gas comes from sulfites a person consumes, which is a part of all preservatives. You need to cut down food items that contain sulfites. Sulfites are present in all juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. If you have been taking these things in a good amount, then cut down the intake. Also take a lactobacillus preparation and yoghurt with your meals. In all probability the smell will go. Certain food items like cabbage, radish, turnip and certain meat products too cause a foul smell in stool and cutting down these food items also helps.  If it persists, then talk to your doctor. Other causes will have to be looked into such as intestinal infection, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, short bowel syndrome, malabsorption syndromes, chronic pancreatitis or hepatitis and cystic fibrosis. You will need to consult a gastroenterologist then. Hope this helps. Take care!
I would concur with Doctornee, my woman is dealing with the same issue. Several trips to the Gastroenterologist and this time if they find nothing I will be taking her to see an Endocrinologist. I believe stomach bacteria is the number one cause along with food choice in diet and then add stress in there as a factor to overproduction of stomach acids and bile. Those are the facts and the good doctornee also stated the most of the causes. Unfortunatley you can not argue with these facts, if you do not find the cause it will keep coming back and your only choice will be a complete change in diet. Good Luck.
I acctly have this same problem as wee speak , I am so ill&can bairly even move :(, This all started when I was 11,I have never experienced anything as horrible as this! How long will I have this for?
how long will I have this and how do I get rid of it, its soo horrid , help please!

Thanks , courtney  
I used to have a similar thing when I was younger, although it phased out As I got older and never got as severe as barrys sounds. Just got told it was gasterunteritas and to take migralieve and ride through it. I eventually found out if u took migralieve as soon as the burps started it sometimes prevented the rest from developing. Hope this helps any one. Charn