Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swelling after fall with head injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swelling after fall with head injury

7 days ago i slipped on the ice and smacked my forehead on my car.  I had immediate pain and severe swelling.  I now have significant yellow/green bruising on forehead and a yellow/green/purple/black eye.  I still have visible minor  swelling of the forehead--is this normal and how long before it goes away?  I also am still having daily headaches and fatigue since the accident.  Thank you.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
A contusion on your forehead will turn blue black with time and also cause swelling of the corresponding eye as the subcutaneous space where the blood and fluid collects id common. Hence, due to gravity, collection seeps down into the eyelid. This is normal.
Some headache is expected with contusion. However if there is headache or vomiting after head injury it is advisable to get a medical examination done.

It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you much for responding.  I was evaluated in the ER the night of the fall.  They gave me a head injury sheet and sent me on my merry way.  I knew this would turn all kinds of color as the area of swelling was about 3 inches in diameter and stuck out about 2 inches (according to my husband). I am more concerned about the fact that there is still swelling present and i am fatigued.  So it will be a while before the swelling / headache / fatigue are gone?  Is that the correct understanding?  Thanks again.
Thanks for keeping me posted!
Yes, that’s correct! It usually takes about 2-3 weeks or at times 4 weeks for the contusion on forehead to completely heal. If it persists beyond that, do seek medical help.
Do let me know if there is any thing else you want to know. Take care!