Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Swelling in ankles, thighs, mid-section, fluid retention

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I suffered from nightime painful leg twitching first and increased fruit intake. The twitching has become minimal, but still occurs. Shortly thereafter, I experienced swelling in ankles, thighs and sometimes mid-section.  The swelling begins upon waking, but somethimes I awaken and it has not completely disappeared from the day before.  Massage helps.  Elevating helps somewhat. I also have numbness in the ankles and some pain on the back of the thigh. The vascular surgeon did an ultrasound study, which showed no sign of deep vein thrombois.  The cardiologist ekg and ultrasound study was normal.  The endocrinologist's blood test showed normal levels.  Basic blood and urine tests showed normal body functions and levels, with the exception of high cholesterol, but was told good cholerserol balanced the bad. Never had high blood pressure. I have always had a good water intake of around 6 glasses a day, eat a low fat, high fiber diet, drink 2-3 cups of coffee per day and about 4 glasses of red wine with dinner. Weight fluctuates sometimes 2-4 lbs per day. I am 5'6 weigh 136-140 lbs and am almost 47. I have added vitamins and herbs purported to help circulation. The physicians all agree there is a problem, but none can tell me what it is and how to address it.
I would consider a neurology evaluation at this point.  The cardiology and vascular surgery evaluation would rule out many vascular issues.  

An MRI of the spine can look for any disk herniation which may lead to nerve impingement, and nerve conduction studies can look for neuropathies.  

Blood tests to evaluate the vitamin B-12 level, calcium level, thyroid function and liver function should all be considered.  

If the symptoms continue, more invasive testing like a muscle biopsy, can be considered.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
you should have an abdonimal ultasound to tule out anymechanical problem
Have you been to a kidney specialist? I have polycystic kidney disease and sometimes my ankles, calves & hands swell.  It is not uncommon for people with kidney diseases to swell due to retention. Good luck finding the problem
A related discussion, ankle and food swelling was started.
A related discussion, Help! was started.