Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swelling of the right side arm and leg.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swelling of the right side arm and leg.

I woke up yesterday with a swollen right hand and wrist and also a swollen ankle and foot.  There was extreme pressure that was felt within my limbs.  I am taking nerve pain medicine and tramadol for nerve pain that has been on going since I quit take a low dose of hydrocortisone.  The hydrocortisone was perscribed by a PA that is with the Women's Midlife Clinic. I did not realize the extent of the relief it provided me till I have been off any type of steriod at least a couple of months.

Back to the swollen wrist and ankle, it is still present tonight.  There is definite pain with it -  not sharp, just a constant pressure that doesn't let up.

Do you have any suggestions as to what it can be?  Do I need to have it checked out or should I just leave it be?  
I have been to the doctor to check out the inflammation and I still have no answer.  The doctor did blood work and it indicates inflammation.  In the past I have had the same results on the blood work.  How does one get more information on what is causing the inflammation.

I still have considerable amount of stiffness, nerve pain and pressure within my legs.

What should I do next?  I don't want to keep going like this - hurting.  Also, i would like to put a end on having to take something for the pain.

i would appreciate any advice anyone could provide me on this.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Pain and swelling can be due to arthritis, bursitis of the joints, pressure on blood vessels etc. I am not sure why you have been taking steroids. You should also get tested for thyroid problems and diabetes.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!

Thanks for the reply.  I have been on Steriods for both allergic reactions - hives and then for inflammation.  For inflammation I was on a low dose of Hydrocortisone and that I was weined off of, but then put back on because of the on going pain and inflammation.  I was taken off steriods for good a few months ago, because it was determined that I have osteoperosis in the hip.

Steriods provided me with the relief that I needed.  Now that I am off that and the pain and inflammation continue to present, there have been testing done again - nerve studies, ANA and auto immune testing.  The nerve testing says that I have Carpal tunnel that has gotten worse both in the left and right hands.  The right was worse to begin with and continues to be that way.  What you are telling me about the arthritis, bursitis, and pressure all fits to what I have been dealing with.  I appreciate your information in that I can be confident in the answers that are being said.  Now it is just a matter of finding the right combination of pain relief that I can use on a long term basis.  I need to be able to do my work plus I want to be able to work around the yard this summer.  

Do you know of possible solutions to the pain and discomfort?

Thanks,
Ann