Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Swollen, red itchy/burning lips

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen, red itchy/burning lips

Hi, I've had a problem on and off with my lips. It started when my doctor changed my contraceptive pill (although I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence). While I was taking the new pill my lips gradually became more and more sore. When I stopped taking the pill it appeared to clear up, then 3 weeks later it suddenly flared up again. My lips become very swollen, the skin around the lips is deep red and if I don't keep them moisturised they dry out, crack and bleed. I also develop an acne-like rash on my cheeks and get white head spots around the edges of my lips. A couple of times the red part of my skin around my lips started leaking puss. When the reaction starts my lips start tingling and burning and are extremely uncomfortable. At first my doctor thought it might be a food allergy but it has recently started flaring up when my skin comes in to contact with something, for example the latest reaction flared up 2 hours after kissing my husband. Does this sound like an allergy to you? I have tried taking allergy tablets and using hydrocortisone cream but neither of these really seem to make a difference. It is making my life a misery, do you have any suggestion please??
I agree that an allergy is a possibility, or some sort of contact dermatitis.

A referral to a dermatologist can be considered at this point.  If the cause continues to be unclear, an skin biopsy can be considered for a more definitive diagnosis.

There are stronger steroid creams than hydrocortisone, and that can be considered if an allergic reaction is the case.  

Another consideration, especially with the drainage, is an infection.  If that's the case, antibiotics would be needed.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician, or with a dermatologist.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin Pho, M.D.

KevinMD.com
Twitter.com/kevinmd
I am egg sensitive and my lips swell up when I eat eggs.  They burn too.  Usually the rest of me gets hives though, and I take reactine and within a number of hours my lips feel better.  After a swelling incident when they deflate (haha) the skin remains cracked and annoying, but not too painful.  They do not bleed or ooze.  Have you ever been tested for HSV?  YOu can do a blood test or have your family doctor culture the infected looking parts. Its quick and cheap test and comes back in a few days with results.