Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Swollen Gland Behind Right Ear

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen Gland Behind Right Ear

Hi. I have a swollen gland behind my right ear..located on the bone directly across where the earlobe begins to form. I have had this swollen gland for 2 1/2 months now, and a CBC was done which came back normal. I was not sick when this gland became swollen, and have not been sick since. Sometimes the gland will become painful and will grow in size during these times, and when this does happen i will experience mild headaches and a feeling as if other glands are becoming slightly swollen on the right side of my actual skull. Normally though, the gland gives me no pain or discomfort. The gland is not movable such as a swollen gland under the jaw, and is firm/hard when touched. On average, the gland is a bit larger than the size of a peanut. When compared to the same gland on the left side of my head, there is a significant difference. The left gland cannot be felt at all. I am curious if this is anything for concern. Thank you very much. Phil
I agree with the CBC, which can indicate infection or possible blood disorder.

Infection continues to be the leading possibility, and a course of antibiotics can be considered to treat upper respiratory or ear causes.

If the gland continues to persist, seeing an ENT specialist can be considered for consideration of a possible biopsy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is probably a postauricular lymph node, and it is responding to viral, bacterial, or local inflammatory causes.  An ENT physician can biopsy if needed.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
A related discussion, fainting spells and dizziness was started.