Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen Lymph Nodes and Fatigue. Could it be associated with Swine Flu?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen Lymph Nodes and Fatigue. Could it be associated with Swine Flu?

Hello.

I am a 21 year old female. I have had a swollen lymph node in the side of my neck now for about 10 weeks, and it has remained the same size for the past couple of weeks, approximately 1.5cm. The only other symptom I have is fatigue, and lack of energy. I have no sign of infection at all. Though at the beginning of November, a couple of weeks before I noticed the swollen node, I had swine flu and took the course of Tamiflu.

Could this swelling be due to my previous bout of swine flu? Or a side effect of tamiflu? Even though I have no sign of being ill. The node is noticable, and is easily felt. It does not hurt, came on gradually and does not move.

I have been to the doctors and have had several blood tests, which have been clear. Also a chest x-ray which was normal. I have now been referred to the hospital where I will be having a biopsy in March.

If anyone has any ideas about whether this is to do with swine flu, or have had the same experience, or any general info, please could you let me know. As I'm getting worried that I have had the swelling for quite a long time.

Thank you!
I think that any infection can leave your lymph node(s) swollen for quite some time.  Also, the more you mess with it, the more time it takes for it to shrink.  I have had one swollen lymph node in my neck since a minor cold like illness 4 weeks ago.  It doesn't appear to be shrinking and of course I can't help but check.  
Thank you for telling me that. I do find myself checking it on a daily basis, and like you said that can't help it to go down. The only thing is that I never had this swelling when I had the flu, or any other time when I've been ill, would that matter?
From blood test results, can infections go undetected?
Are you certain that your lymph node wasn't swollen during your bout with the flu?  

What type of blood tests?  If you are speaking of CBC, my WBC goes up and down from day to day (I'm tested frequently due to Chronic Lyme Disease).  I have had WBC that exceeded the 'normal range' when I haven't felt sick, and when I've been sick, it's well within normal limits.  Our bodies are complex.  

Also, you mention fatigue.  Have you been tested for Mono?  I do believe that it causes swollen lymph nodes as well as fatigue and can be long lasting.  

And of course, I'm sure I'll be poking my lymph node everyday now to make sure it shrinks eventually!!
I'm pretty sure it wasn't swollen when I had the flu, but maybe I didn't notice it... I only really noticed it a couple of weeks after, when I had recovered and I only noticed it because I went to get my ears pierced and felt it there.

That's interesting to know about your blood counts, they aren't quite as simple as I thought! Well, I had a CBC, which all came back normal. I then had another, which was HIV, Hepatitis, and CMV. Which was negative (which I knew it would be anyway!). My chest x-ray was normal too, but I didn't have any problems with my chest but he was checking just in case.

He hasn't suggested anything else, I've researched myself about Mono etc, but he hasn't said anything. I might ask when I get my biopsy or arrange to see him before. Guess i'll just keep an eye on it! Thank you for your help. I think I've just worked myself up as I've never really had anything wrong before!