Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen Lymph Nodes

I found in a lump in my neck yesterday. It's pretty large, I'd say about 3 cm across and is attached to the muscle running between my breastbone and my jaw. It's not painful to touch, but it's painful when I move my neck or shoulder. There are no other lumps that I can find so it makes me think it isn't a swollen lymph node. It's quite squishy and feels like it's fluid filled. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, supraclavicular lymphadenopathy (lymphnode in area between breast bone and jaw) is worrisome. Especially the ones larger than 1cm in diameter should be investigated thoroughly for cancers and granulomatous diseases. The right supraclavicular area receives drainage from the organs in chest, whereas the left supraclavicular lymph nodes drain the abdomen. The supraclavicular lymph nodes also receive lymphatic drainage from the breasts. Hence the malignancies of these regions are possible, even though rare in men. Tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, histoplasmosis, cat scratch disease and cryptococcosis are the other possibilities.
Other than this it is possible that it is not a lymph node but a lipoma (collection of fat) or a cyst.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
you have lymph glands in the same area on either side of your neck below your jaw. if it is your lymph glands one or both can be swollen for several different reasons, most commonly when you have allergies but also when you are sick or have an infection. DO NOT push or poke and glands on any part of your body! this is high allergy season and sometimes mine are swollen for days on end without any other symptoms
my daughter had swollen lymph nodes like that and her whole neck was sore. they tested her for cat scratch fever. it was negative but she did end up having mono. she was also tired and weak and dizzy though. she has had lymph nodes swollen from strep to just a viral infection. best to get it looked at and get some blood work done.