Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen and painful foot
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Swollen and painful foot

My husband's right foot is swollen and very painful.   All medical test show nothing, no infection, no vascular problems, no nerve problems, All the doctors we have seen are baffled. I can send a picture if need be.  The blood veins on top of his foot are breaking and bleeding.  He says the pain is most severe on the ball of his foot.  It started with his big toe, spread to the next three, now it is his whole foot.  It is not gout, or lymphedema.  He has done everything but an MRI.   If he stays completely off of it,(laying down only), the swelling decreases by half.  the pain subsides to about half.  Sometimes the toes are even purple looking, but the doctors says there is adequate blood flow.  His foot is warm but not hot.  A podiatrist even gave shots to destroy the nerve, cause he thought it was neuroma, but it did not work, in fact it seems his foot got worse.
Please help!!!!

Tempermant
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
Has he seen a regular internist (not just a podiatrist?)

This should not be let go.
Blank
have they done a ct of his abdomen??
Blank
No he has not had a ct scan of his abdomen, but he did have a ultra sound done to his aortic, checking to see if he had an aortic aneurism (aneurysm).   No he has not seen internist.  But we will see if our podiatrist will refer us to one.
Blank
He is not diabetic?  I guess your podiatrist has ruled out Charcot disease.  Did your husband have a gout blood test?  If so, had he already taken something like Advil/Motrin PRIOR to the test?  Those meds can drop the level of uric acid in the blood, so that the test appears falsely normal.  Some people believe that a 24 hour urine collection for uric acid is best.  However, I have to say that the bursting veins are not typical of gout.  It sounds like your podiatrist knows what he is doing.  This is very, very strange.  Yes, go to a sharp internist.
Blank
Is he a smoker? How about Buerger's disease. They say it mostly affects young men, but my Dad got it at 56.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank