Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen forearm

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen forearm

This morning when I got up I noticed my right forearm had an area the diameter of a baseball that was swollen.  It aches, but has no noticeable pain.  The only other symptom I can recall is that my forearm itched yesterday--but so did my legs and back.  I see no rash or discoloration of the skin.  There is no noticeable heat in it.  It is solid to the touch.  What could this be?
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum.
This looks like urticaria or hives. The swellings or wheals produced after itching can be pale (of skin color) or red. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Since you experienced an itch, just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you. In many cases, hives clear up themselves and don’t require diagnosis or treatment. However if they persists you may need to see a specialist called an allergist to determine what is causing the reaction. A swelling as you describe can also be a hematoma but I feel it is unlikely.
It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining the swelling. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!