Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen glands in neck and under ears?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen glands in neck and under ears?

Hello, I am 27 female and I am currently having issue with getting to a doctor, the vehicle that I share with my brother and mother is broken down. Then the vehicle my sister has is broken down and I really know no one else. I cannot get anywhere right away. Also, the roof caved in at my doctors office ANYWAY so it'd be a week or more before I can get an appointment.

My issue is that the 2 glands on the sides of my throat are swollen, the one inside my chin is swollen, something small and round below my left ear is swollen and something on the outside of my right ear is also swollen. I do not have a fever and I have not vomited at all, which is symptoms of most disorders that have to do with swollen nodes. They do hurt and actually the one below my left ear itches. I am curious what this could possibly be given that I barely have any symptoms other than those named glands swelling. I also have a bit of mucus in my throat as well. Any information would be great and if I need to get to a hospital ASAP would be great to know as well. It'd be silly to call an ambulance but I can't get to the doctor like I said.

Also, I've only ever had the flu once when I was 5 or 6 and cannot recall anything to know whether this would be or not. I also have seasonal allergies but have never had anything swell this bad, except when I was little my eyes would often swell. I am also currently taking Lamictal. I used to also have chronic Sinusitis but haven't had a flare up in years. Thanks
mononucleus infectious could be... If you feel tired, and have  little fever..
How long has this been going on?  It could just be a simple infection that will go away soon or it could be something more.  I would try gargling with warm saltwater and putting a few drops of warm olive oil in your ears.  If this lasts more than about a week, you should try to be seen if you can.
it may be an infection that has just gotten really bad because it has not been treated. The warm salt water and olive oil are great non prescription methods, but sounds like you really need antibiotics. I have severe allergies too. I usually have to take antibiotics, antibiotic ear or eye drops, and a steriod only if there is not an infection present. Good luck. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Neck lymph nodes can be the result of tonsillitis, pharyngitis (infection of upper throat), infection in mouth, caries in tooth, internal ear infection, outer ear infection, eczema, dermatitis, dandruff, breast cancer, fungal infection, other cancers like lymphoma etc. The enumerated the possibilities can be investigated or ruled out one by one by your physician and dentist.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. A fine needle biopsy of a CT scan can tell for sure what the lump is. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks everyone for commenting. I am probably going to end up going to an urgent care center, instead of an ER because this doesn't seem like an emergency but a doctors appointment is still well away. I can't put this off if it is something severe. I am now really worried because a lymph node between my thigh and groin area is now swollen also (I read it's a bad sign for them to be swelling one after the other like this). It all started with the one I found under my jaw, then the two on the sides of my throat swelled, then the outside of the right eat... and then the one below the left eat.

I was tested for STDs in February and have not been with anyone since. This is really weird to me. No fever, no vomiting, and just tender swollen glands. Ironically our neighbor does in fact have mono, but I have not even been around him whatsoever... and no one else in my family who were around him are having symptoms. Is it possible I could still have that having not been around him? I can't imagine how! I know it can be passed by coughing, sneezing, and not just kissing. Yet, I still have not been around him for him to cough or sneeze around me. I also do not have a fever... well, I guess I do have a really low grade fever, it's it's only been maybe 99.1 and 99.5. Hopefully this gets figured out as soon as possible and is nothing serious.

Every time a gland swells, no matter if it's from a cold or not, because my uncle had Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I of course freak out and worry.
I am happy to report it was just a sinus infection, as far as he could tell because he couldn't because I went in before I was really truly sick. the doctor drew blood to do a platelet count or something, plus check for mono, which I do not have. Also, I've only been taking the antibiotic for 2 days and the thing I thought was a "cyst" on the back of my neck has began to recede. Maybe there is some sort of gland back there? No matter, antibiotics I guess only work for bacterial infections... so maybe the cyst was because of some bacteria?!? Either way I am happy because the glands, that I know are glands, are starting to go down as well. So, I guess if anyone researches all the glands I had swollen, it really could just be a simple sinus infection. My body reacted differently this time for sure though, which I wonder if that says anything about my immune system.