Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen lymph node behind ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen lymph node behind ear

I went to the ENT two weeks ago because I had swollen lymph nodes behind my ear (behind the earlobe on the bony part of the skull) it was swollen, tender and the area was red. He told me it was a cyst I was born with that had become infected. Gave me antibiotics and I went back today and now he tells me the redness has become worse and seems to be spreading, more like a rash. He tells me I have some swollen lymph nodes as well most likely from the rash. He told me to go and see a dermatologist and to have her send him the report. I am worried that he thinks it might be lyphnoma and wants to see what she says.  The internet will cause you too worry so much and I can't really find out any info if a rash is linked to lyphnoma. Its like a large red area and then small red flat bumps that seems to be spreading. It is the ear that I talk on the phone with,not sure if that is causing it but I am worried that its the start of something bad. My nodes aren't tender anymore but maybe that is from the antibiotics and I have no other symptoms of lyphnoma, just this damn rash and the swollen nodes which I can't stop touching either so maybe they jus thave not gone down yet?? ANy input here, I would appreciate.
I doubt that you have lymphoma. Typically that is not a node that you would have swell up due to lymphoma. Those nodes are in the neck, underarms, groin, chest and abdomen. I am sure that the problem is due to the rash.

A lump behind the ear could be due to throat infection, insect bite, accidental trauma to the site, ear infection , etc.

Lymph nodes in the region are known as post auricular lymph nodes and can enlarge secondary to infection, inflammation, etc.

You could try some warm compresses at the site, warm saline gargles for his sore throat and some oral antihistamine medications for the swelling.

This could be mastoiditis, cervical lymphadenopathy or parotitis.

Have you seen an ENT specialist or your doctor for your symptoms? Do you have any associated symptoms of pain, discharge, fever, etc?

'Mastoiditis is an infection of the mastoid process, the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear. It is usually caused by untreated acute otitis media (middle ear infection) .'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastoidectomy

and

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic306.htm

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.