Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen rash spreading from minor sunburn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

After going rafting, I had a sunburn on my legs above my knees and below my shorts. I used sunscreen above my shorts. Later that same day, I started to develop a small rash behind my knee. Now, almost 3 days later, I have large rashes behind both my knees, and a spreading rash where my sunburn was. Both areas are badly swollen causing extreme discomfort to my knee. My knees prefer to be streched out now, without the swollen skin touching anything. The rash has also spread to include my upper right arm, and smaller similar bumps down my arm, and a patch on my left arm. All of these came on quite suddenly. My right arm is the most uncomfortable as it itches constantly, while my knees don't really itch, they to have a discomfort from the swelling.
Hi is the rash where your skin has been exposed to sunlight? Is it raised prickly type rash and itches like mad? If so try looking up polymorphic light eruption. Its basically an allergy to sunlight if it is this. I have polymorhic light eruption and it is a nuisance if it is you have got it for good because it doesn't go away.
Two things you can do where a high factor sunblock which has a five star rating eg uvistat 30 or you can get phototherapy to desenstize your skin . Depends whether you live in a hot climate you may be able to desentize yourself by limiting exposure and building up slowly. Hope this helps if indeed this is what you are experiencing. Take Care
Just wondering, do you have any blisters?  Just wondering if sun poison might be an issue too?  It sounds more like some kind of allergic reaction - maybe to the sunscreen?  sorry can't help much - good luck.
I forgot to put sunscreen on my legs, didn't think that they would get enough sun to burn. Also, the backs of my legs didn't get any sun at all as I was sitting most of the day. I'm noticing that the swelling goes down at night too, probably from my legs being elevated. There are little liquid filled bumps at the edges of the rash also.
Hey, sounds crazy that the backs of your knees would be swollen like that, I know.  But could be that sun poison has spread.  That happened with me and now I have to be extra careful out in the sun for any length of time.  I have also had sun poison on my face and lips - and TRUST ME - it was horrible.  I hope that you can get some relief soon - if you haven't seen your doc, I would make appt....some type of Rx might help.  Take care@
Sounds alot like sun poisoning to me.  It is common to get the blisters with a sunburn, and it is also common for skin not affected by the sun to react with a case of sun poisoning.  Google it and see if the pics look the same as your legs.
I get that too - it's actually an alergic (allergic) reaction to the sun.  It will go away eventually but it is annoying.  The first time it happened to me I went to the dr cause I thought I had chicken pox - but it wasn't.
Most of my rash is gone... and the swelling definately is. I started taking double doses of benadryl 4 times a day, ibuprophen (600 mg) 4 times a day for swelling, using Tecnu 1-2 times a day (people kept saying it looked like poison oak), tincture of echanicea (spelling?) and golden seal (for immune system), some homeopathic pills a friend got me for rashes, and hydrocortisone cream 2+ times a day... Only little spots itch now and all the swelling is gone. Tan-like darkness is left on the tops of my knees. I couldn't find any pictures online that looked like what I had, so I think I may have had a combination of problems... Sunburn leading to poison oak (weakened immune system?), or an eczematic reaction... doesn't explain the swelling though.
Sounds like what I have!  Mine is on my chest and my back and only goes to the edge of my tan line.  This is my 3rd summer of having it.  I only get it once and it's always in July.  I get it about a week after I get a sunburn and it itches and spreads like crazy!!  Last year and the year before I had to get a percription from the Dr. for it.  Even though they didn't know what it was.  This time I thought I'd try some benadryl extra strength itch stopping cream.  So far it's working.  In the spots where the redness and bumps are gone now there is what looks like a tanned spot.  Like you, I have not found any pictures either.  Was your rash warm to the touch?    
I was at the beach and didn't think my legs would get sunburned so I didn't put suncreen on them but I did everywhere else and Wednesday night my legs were extremely red. Thursday was the worst. I couldn't walk the pain was so bad. I put some aloe vera gel on them and sprayed solacaine and poured vinegar on them and today is Sunday and the sunburn is feeling better but I can't tell that it has faded at all. It still hurts really bad to walk but not as bad as it did Thursday but I can't tell a difference in the pain from today to yesterday. The swelling hasn't changed either. I just didn't know how long I would be like this.
I received a very bad sunburn after two stints in the tanning booth.  The area near my hip bones peeled badly, and deeply.  Now I have a terrible itchy rash along the edge of wear I peeled.  I am different, because this started two months!!! after the burn and peel.  Any ideas?  Small red bumps exactly along the edges of where I peeled on both sides.
I have the same thing you do.  I have had it for about a month now on my back.  I went to water park and got second degree burns on my back.  When I peeled the rash appeared and I have tried EVERYTHING and can't seem to get any relief.  Also mine is worse at night, maybe where I lay on it and get it heated up.  Who knows but I am struggling.
hey do you know how to cure it  cuse my dad has it?