Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Swollen veins

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Swollen veins

Seems many of you have the same thing I do. About 3 years ago I had a sharp pain in my right leg I look doen only to find my vien above my knee had swelled up and I had a sharp pain that lasted about 15 min but the swollen vien stayed that way for about 45min. The next day I had a huge bruse. This happened agian on my left leg so I went to the doctors as I have a hole in my heart and thought it might have something to do with my circulation...the doctor siad I had vericus veins and as they have told most of you they are not supposed to hurt. WELL MINE DID. So I check to see if my blood was clotting and they siad it was fine and so was my circulation. I still have the pain and you can feel it even it you can't see the viens like in my arms I can feel the veins swell sometimes. My mother in law just had one do this next to her eye. She went in and they told her that it was because on the blood thinners that she is on??? I have talked to some people about this and some say that when the Drink green tea it makes it worse? I've tested that and sometimes I see a difference and sometimes I don't. I wish this would stop but I'm like all of you and no one seems to know why this happens or what causes it. I just changed Dr and she seemd to be very good. So lets see what she says about this. I"ll keep you all posted.....
Hi.
I would suggest when this happens again, to have a  blood platelet count, along with an ESR,

Bruising can also been seen in RA, and Vascular diseases.

The bruising could come with inflammation too.

If like the doctor said its a varicose vein, there is a procedure you can have done to get rid of your problem,

Best wishes
Nicola
Thanks for your advice. They checked to see if my blood wasl clotting is that what you mean by platelet count? I don't think it's from varicose veins. I had the same feeling agian today it seems when I do alot of physical activity my legs feel like some one is giving them charlie horses?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The only way to confirm whether you have varicose veins or not is go for a duplex ultrasound or a color dopplar. You need to consult a vascular specialist for this. Deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K could be the cause of bruise along with low platelets, but this has probably been lood into in your case. They could also be fragile spider veins.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!