Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Symptoms of broken bone in foot?

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Symptoms of broken bone in foot?

I'm pretty sure it isn't broken but then I've never broken a bone before so I have no idea.  I was in a shop and one of the clothing rails dropped a short distance (probably from my knee height) onto my foot.  It really hurt and throbbed for a while.  But it's still hurting almost 2 weeks later and the bruise only just seems to be coming out!  Is that normal?  I can walk and bear weight on this foot but if anything comes into contact with it - like my kids keep managing to step on that particular foot - it really, really hurts, it almost stings.  The area that is affected is along the edge of my foot - so almost as if it's running down from my little toe, towards my ankle.  When I feel this area, it feels very tender and I can feel a small bump under the skin.  Can't see it and I don't think there's any swelling (not that I can see anyway).  My other foot doesn't have this bump.  Is this worth seeing a doctor over or does it just sound like a bruise?  
It takes only 8 pounds of pressure to frature a bone, and the area you are describing is a common place for a fracture and also deep bruising of the bones themselves. The deep bone bruises take longer to heal than the fracture, however you have what sounds like a spur, a little piece of fracture is dislodged. You will want to see a physician asap for imaging to ensure it isnt threatening your veins. I am RN and have treated more than a few injuries similar to yours, its very important to check if bone has spurred.
You need an x-ray. I fractured a metatarsal bone (upper top of foot) while in the military and it took a year to heal, and I still have pain decades later. Generally there is a "window of opportunity" to immobilize such a fracture, and if missed the bone won't heal without surgery.