Symptoms of broken bone in foot?
I'm pretty sure it isn't broken but then I've never broken a bone before so I have no idea.  I was in a shop and one of the clothing rails dropped a short distance (probably from my knee height) onto my foot.  It really hurt and throbbed for a while.  But it's still hurting almost 2 weeks later and the bruise only just seems to be coming out!  Is that normal?  I can walk and bear weight on this foot but if anything comes into contact with it - like my kids keep managing to step on that particular foot - it really, really hurts, it almost stings.  The area that is affected is along the edge of my foot - so almost as if it's running down from my little toe, towards my ankle.  When I feel this area, it feels very tender and I can feel a small bump under the skin.  Can't see it and I don't think there's any swelling (not that I can see anyway).  My other foot doesn't have this bump.  Is this worth seeing a doctor over or does it just sound like a bruise?  
It takes only 8 pounds of pressure to frature a bone, and the area you are describing is a common place for a fracture and also deep bruising of the bones themselves. The deep bone bruises take longer to heal than the fracture, however you have what sounds like a spur, a little piece of fracture is dislodged. You will want to see a physician asap for imaging to ensure it isnt threatening your veins. I am RN and have treated more than a few injuries similar to yours, its very important to check if bone has spurred.
You need an x-ray. I fractured a metatarsal bone (upper top of foot) while in the military and it took a year to heal, and I still have pain decades later. Generally there is a "window of opportunity" to immobilize such a fracture, and if missed the bone won't heal without surgery.