Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
TMJ answers?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

TMJ answers?

Any one out there have any suggestions for TMJ/TMD?  I've been from doctor to doctor (MD, Nuerologist, Accupunture, Chiro and PT).....nothing seems to help.  I also do the hot moist compresses.  I dont care if I cant open my mouse as wide as I used to but I need these HEADACHES to go away.  They are stopping me from living live as I used to.  Any help would be apprecaited.  What has worked for you?
Tags: TMJ
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
To get some relief you can try massaging the sore muscles.  Massaging the muscles does not help every one. Also if the procedure is nor correct, then it can further aggravate the problem. You have to press on muscles to look for sore points. Then massage these points with short strokes. To massage the masseter muscles on each side of your jaw, place your thumb inside your mouth and squeeze the thick muscle in your cheek with your fingers. To massage the jaw muscles inside your mouth, use your index finger to probe and massage these spots.
Moist heat or cold packs on the face, vitamin supplements, or biofeedback are useful for some people. Usually people find a method that brings relief by trial and error. Consult an ENT specialist.
Apart from this consult a neurologist to rule out other causes of headaches such as migraine, tension headaches, ear pain, dental ache etc.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have very bad TMJ dysfunction with arthritis.  It hurts to talk too much, sing too much, chew too much and I've been told to be on a soft diet the rest of my life.  I was told this in my early 30s.  I recently was advised to limit my talking on the phone, singing and the like, which was very disheartening to have someone tell me what I already knew I should do from painful flare-up experience.  I was hoping for an MRI to see the shape of my discs, which he didn't order.  He also said surgery never makes things better.  So even if my discs are destroyed, it looks like there is currently no hope from medical science when it comes to surgery at this point in time.  

I wear a flat-planed splint at night to try to prevent my arthritis from worsening while I clench in my sleep.  I discovered last time I went one night without my splint I got a horrific migraine.  I also take ibuprofen for capsulitis that happens to the joints and valium to try to help relax the TMJ muscles on rare occasions.  I try ice as well, which can be some help.