Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Tailbone pain not when sitting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Tailbone pain not when sitting

Hi around 2 possibly 3 months ago I started getting a very painful jolt when attampting to sit down and getting up from sitting down. I dont recall ever falling on my but or anything else to cause this pain. I was hoping it would go away but it has only gotten worse. Not only does it hurt when i am going to sit down or stand up but now hurts while sitting as well. At first it would only hurt for a few minuets after sitting, but now it hurts constantly while sitting. Standing is the only relief i get. Any suggestions as to what it might be or how to fix it? I dont want to go to the doctor if it is not neccisary.
-5 Comments
Have you tried taking any anti-inflamatory medication for it, such as aleve, or motrin (ibuprophen)?  Sometimes, when a joint gets inflamed, it has a hard time resolving itself, and anything you do just irritates it more. The advice most Dr.s will give you is to take 400mg motrin (2 tablets of OTC) every 4 hours, or 800 mg every 8 hours (4 tablets OTC, or get Rx). Take it on schedule for 2 weeks whether you feel like you need it or not. This will reduce the inflamation (inflammation) in the joint, and give it a chance to heal. After the 2 weeks, it should feel much better, if not perfect. If taking the motrin on schedule is not helping at all after 3-4 days, or if the problem does not improve drastically within 2 weeks, you should see a Dr. and get an x-ray to see if something else is wrong. For most people though, it is equivalent to a sprained ankle, and just takes a little time and motrin to heal. Good luck.

I got the same problem where it hurts when I sit and when I get up it is painful.  I did have the anti inflammatory medicine but did not work,  so I will be having xray this thursday. will keep in touch.
I have had the same tail bone pain for a few years...I since had bariatric surgery and the pain has gotten worse.  Iwas told that is bec I lost my rear passing!  NOT true!  I had this pre-op and I always had a small behind...all my weight was in the tummy!  I am at witts end!  I went to orthopaedic who took X Rays and said it was nothing and would go away!  Went to rheumotologist who says it is from my fibromyalgia...started me on arthrotec (nsaid's) and vicoprofen (pain and nsaid's mix) I was also on 3 10mg flexeril at bed.  NOTHING worked!  Just made me sleepy and cranky the next morning.  I went today to a neurologist...my friend swears by her.  Personally I felt rushed.  She did an electrical test on my hands and forearms and said I had neuropathy and carpal tunnel!  I said I dont care about that I am here about my tail bone pain!  She said then she wants me to go for an MRI of my brain and then one of my spine.  So one step at a time I will play along as her puppet once again to probably end up with no more answers than when I started!  It is very depressing and annoying to have to live with.  I dont know where else to go, or what Dr's to see?  lease keep in touch and let me know if anyone finds help! thanks and good luck to all!
Robyn
I've had the same sharp pain in my tailbone for years. After multiple xrays from my GP, I went to a chiro for manipulation, thinking maybe he could help. He did one xray of me standing up and found that I have a tilted pelvis. I'm not saying this is the cause of your pain but worth checking out. I never imagined my pelvis was tilted. In fact, I had never even heard of it and have yet to find anything worthwhile on the internet. Just to mention, I've never had a fall or injury that could have caused this. The chiro thinks I was born with it, even though it didn't start hurting until around age 20.

Other things to consider: might be sciatic nerve or some other nerve issue, or as someone else suggested, an inflammation. You might need a stronger anti-inflammatory.