Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Tender Scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Tender Scalp

I too have had a tender scalp for about 3 months. It's been off and on. I usually notice it when I brush my hair. The tenderness is toward the right side of the crown and to theright of the top of my head. I take Ibuprophen to help, but it seems like it comes back. I'm 53 years old and don't do pony tails since I have short hair. I use Suave shampoo and Suave conditioner. I also use Suave hairspray. I don't feel any bumps; just the tenderness. It really bothers me. Can you help me?
Is it the start of a headache? Sometimes migraines start that way.

How are you?
Tender scalp can be due to dermatitis. It could be due to an allergy to any hair product.
In some people MSG (monosodium glutamate) which is a common ingredient in Chinese food can cause tender scalp.
Please consult a dermatologist about it. Take care!
Hi.
I have been suffering from scalp tenderness, discomfort, tightness, I can even describe it as pain, in the top of my head.  My hair has fallen out.  I saw my dermatologist and he prescribed a shampoo and a lotion which I used for 2 months.  No improvement.  The pain is getting worse and now moving to the top of my head moving mack.  My main problem is right above my forehead, in the first part of my scalp and all my hair has fallen out.  I'm a 60 year old woman and I've had a series of blood tests with an endocrinologist who finds nothing wrong with me.  Do you know of any scalp specialists in South Florida (I'm near Aventura) that specialize in this?  Please help, I don't know what to do.  I have put aloe for relief and it helps a little but I can't have it on for long since I work so at night, I apply it for relief.  I have tried cortisone creams, too and to no avail.  I tried Rogaine and that didn't help the hair loss nor the scalp pain.

Thank you in advance.
Thank you for your response.  I will stay away from Chinese food (which I hardly ever eat b/c I don't like it but I do use a product occasionally that has MSG).  I read someone else's comment and they suggested Scalpicin which is sold otc at any drugstore.  I have been using it and find that it helps.  Also, I have been rubbing the pulp of aloa plant and that has helped as well.  The hair loss is not as bad now but it hasn't stopped altogether.  I did change my shampoo to a aloa based one.  Thank you for your comments and for your time.  I am on HRT.  My GYN has lowered my dose of estrogen and changed from pill form to a patch.  When I did that, a week later, my hair fell out.  But the scalp has always been tender.
Thank you again.
I recently shaved my whole head with a razor for the first time and now my head is tender and sore. It's really bothering me and I was just wondering if there is a way to get rid of the tenderness?