Tender area on throat - only when I touch it
I'm not sure which forum to ask this in. I just noticed tonight that I have an extremely tender neck. It doesn't hurt when I swallow, my glands aren't swollen...it's only when I push on the right side of my throat is when it gets super tender and hurts. Any idea what this may be? I've smoked for a few years now, and although trying to quit, have been  unsuccessful at it. Do you think it could be some kind of growth/infection/cancer?  A little scenario is I am having some back issues. I slept on my couch and my back has been messed up ever since. I'm looking for a chiropractor to help me with that, but do you think this could be in association with that? It almost feels like my vein is sore to the touch...you're response would be much aprpeciated as I'm currently looking for health insurance, I don't have it right now.
Thank you,
Have you got a temperature?
How long as it been tender?
Have you got any thyroid issues?
Sorry i cant be of much help, but the questions above would tell me more.
Maybe you need an ultrasound on the neck area, to check for swellings in the thyroid, or lymph nodes.
Are you feeling poorly with it?
Also some bloods to check for infection and a thyroid profile, and inflammation markers. just to see whats going on.
Hope this helps sorry i cant be more specific, but i dont know which part of the throat you mean, only on the right side, and it could be a number of things, ie like a thyroid lobe swelling, or enlarged lymph, or an inflamed carotid.etc
Good luck let me know how you get on
Nicola
No temp, I just realized it was tender last night - as it's only tender to the touch, so I'm not too sure how long it has been that way.
As to where it is, it's as if you go to check your pulse on your neck, and then go down another two fingers.
Thank you very much for your response!
It sounds to me like it might be near the thyroid gland, or nearby lymph.
I would go and get  some bloods done for thyroid and general health, and a ultrasound of the neck and throat.
Can you feel any swelling? or lump?
I would say if it persists then go and see your gp, and ask for a ultrasound scan, of thyroid and neck, and bloods.
It also could be inflammation of the carotid artery, which ive heard is painful, and can take some time to calm down.
Either way its worth a trip to the gp for a full evaluation, there are a lot of important structures in the neck and throat, so get it checked out proper.
Good luck.

Nicola
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If there is tenderness on pressing the neck from outside, then this could be due to spinal nerve compression, inflamed sternocleidomastoid muscle as in TMJ, swollen lymph nodes if you can feel a mass, an abscess if you can feel a mass, a clot in the carotid artery or due to a muscle pull. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please consult your PCP and get proper referrals for diagnosis and treatment.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!