Thirst y all of the time...been tested an 'there's nothing wrong'.
About 2 months ago I begin to notice that I was getting increasingly thirsty, so I cut out sugars and salts, thinking that might be the problem.  It seemed to get worse, so I made an appointment with my doctor who did blood and urine tests.  The results all seemed to come back normal, but my problem has only gotten worse.  My doctor's recommendation was to drink more water and cut out all salts and sugars, but I'm already drinking at least 4 litres a day and I my diet is as salt and sugar free as possible.  I wake up at least 4 times every night feeling extremely dehydrated and my mouth is constantly dry.  Other than feeling tired and stressed out, I don't seem to have any other symptoms.  Is there something else that could be the cause of this?  I'm female, 23, athletic and in good health otherwise. This is really becoming too much of an inconvenience.  I'm not sleeping and I have to pee every 5 minutes!!!
If it's not diabetes, it could be Sjogren's Syndrome. This causes severe dry mouth. Look it up, and ask your Dr. for the blood tests.
I am the same for the past 10 years or so.  I drink 5 gallons a day...and that is not a lie.  drs dont believe me.  I am always parched.  I do not have diabetes.  I am clueless..but I guess my body needs it.  Maybe any meds you take???
I looked up Sjogren's Syndrome and I've pretty much ruled it out as I don't have any of the other prevailent symptoms, .  My eyes and skin are not dry, just my mouth.  I'm reluctant to bring it up to my doctor and be labeled a "hypochondriac", as this seems to be what she already thinks of me.
just from a small search...i found this..

Severe dry mouth is not a normal part of aging. It can be a clue to systemic diseases such as Sjogren syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, sarcoidosis, amyloidosis, and hypothyroidism.  

just some things to check into.
Post above mine had some possible reasons for your thirst problem. Also, do get tested for your adrenals. Aldosterone is an adrenal gland hormone that regulates the amount of salt, water , and potassium in your body. If it gets low, your body retains potassium, and loses salt and water. Mine is low, and I am frequently thirsty and dehydrated because of it. Have to add generous amounts of salt to my diet, which definitely helps. (I have low  blood pressure, which many people with an adrenal problem do). also suffer from consistent fatigue and don't handle stress well, which are a couple of symptoms of low functioning adrenals and/or a thyroid problem.

This is a possibility, would look into it. Don't let any doctor tell you certain tests aren't necessary. They have no idea what may be causing your problem and need to explore different areas until the problem is pinpointed. Your doctor told you to drink more water and eliminate salt? Unbelievable. Lack of the ability to hold salt in your system could possibly be the problem! They should not be deciding on a treatment until they figure out the problem. I would get a new and knowledgeable doc!

Dixie1

Thanks for the input all. I'll take the suggestions to my NEW doctor and see what she says.  :)
could possibly be a form of diabetes insipidus (dunno if i spelled that right), there are several types of it. its fairly rare though, and probably would not have been picked up by the routine lab tests. I dont know whats wrong with you though for sure, and maybe you just have a tendency to drink a lot and you dont have a problem at all. you could mention it to a doctor though. note: im not a doctor
Have you had your potassium level checked? I just learned that Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) can cause chronic thirst. This can be done by a blood test.
Has anyone had urinary urgency and frequency ,then been found to have hypothyroidism?  I have many many of the other hypothyroid symptoms-blood tests hopefully back tomorrow!