Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Throat Noises?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Throat Noises?

I have been experiencing wheezing and gurgling/cackling noises coming from my throat for about 4 months now, it is much worse when I am lying down in bed, it is now at the point where I cannot get to sleep because it is so loud and relentless, it seems to be slightly less when I lie on my back, but I cannot fall asleep on my back it just isnt comfortable,I always seem to have the need to clear my throat and am consantly coughing and grunting to clear it. my doctor has said It is down to my weight, Im 16.5 stones(104 kg) and 5 foot 6,age 38, and I know I am over weight, but I always have been, Ive had a lung function test which showed OK according to the doctor, when I took the test my throat sounded like a set of bag pipes blowing, through the complete test. Ive been given an inhaler but it hasnt helped really. Im concerned I might have a serious throat problem but my doctor is unconvinced and dosent seem to think its serious enough to warrant any worry. I am sleeping maybe 2 or 3 hours a night when it gets to the stage where my body cant keep awake, but I awake soon afterwards because of the loud wheezing and gurgling, its an endless loop now and driving me crazy. If anyone can help or has had this problem any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Ian
have you tried an antihistamine to see if it may be allergies?
Hey Ian, have you found anything out about this yet?

I've just found your question about throat noises after doing a search on the Internet about this.  I'm up late (for me) since I can't sleep because of all the noise going on in my head.  I can't figure out if it's throat or sinuses or ears or if I'm losing my mind.

It started out with a cold trying to get the best of me.  I woke up in the morning with a little "purr" in my throat and it's gotten progressively worse.  Tonight is the worst it's gotten.  My husband can even hear it as he lies next to me.

I sure hope you've found something out.

kaelieanne
have been hearing sounds from throat when I lay down...its annoying...sounds appear when I exhale only on pain or discomfort
Hey, It's been 2 years since you posted the 'throat noise issue'.  Did you ever uncover what it was and how to fix it?
I have the exact same thing, it has been driving me crazy, I do have lung cancer but am in remission from it, I am worried that the cancer has spread to my throat, my doctor so far isn't too worried, although I am going for a Ct scan tomorrow, but he is not looking in the right place anyway, he is listening in my lungs and the feeling and sounds I think are coming from in the back of my sinus and throat area, the sounds are like crackling crunching popcorn sounding, it is just awful, I wake my self up that is if I ever do get to sleep, my boyfriend is very hard of hearing, almost deaf and i wake him up, I do have pneumonia and bronchitis and have taken antibiotics and steroids which I finished about 5 days ago, but wheezing is still very much still there. Did you ever find out what it is?
thanks from Sandy K
Has anyone received a name for this thing? It's ridiculous. If not, let us touch and agree for healing right now in the Name of Jesus!
I have had the same problem for five years now except its more of a frog-like crocking noise, along with strong vibrations. It seems like it is almost a burp that has been stuck in my throat for years. I can't pinpoint the exact place, It feels like it is in the back of my throat/upper chest/lungs area. It is very pronounced and loud and i can't seem to get rid of it. Its gotten to the point where people can hear it across a room. I try drinking or eating something but that only makes it worse. It usually comes up at random times during the day. I've been researching it for the past five years and have had no luck on what it is. I haven't talked to a doctor about it, but I have been told it may be  dehydration. Please help.
A related discussion, Throat Noise was started.