Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Throat problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Throat problem

Since about 3-4 weeks ago I've been experiencing a kind of sensation in my neck, whereby when I swallow, there feels as if part of my middle/lower neck is "sticking". Also my saliva is incredibly sticky, and when I spit, it doesn't detach from my mouth and instead forms a long line goo - very abnormal for me? I'm not sure whether I should go to my GP - should I? I just had a meal just now and it was a bit harder to swallow it...

Also worth noting is that in the last 2 days I've been starting to sneeze more than normal - which I'm guessing just might be a cold. Is this coincidental? Or is it related to my neck problem.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Btw I'm an 18 year old male with no previous problems of this sort, and on no medication.
Are you adequately hydrated?

If this continues and hydration is adequate, an ENT eval might be in order.
Yeah I've been drinking my normal water/tea amount as I usually do.. if not a bit more. Definitely not a hydration issue.

Do you think I should see the doctor?
I probably would not yet, but only you know the severity of your symptoms. I would probably attribute it to allergies or some exposure that was temporary. Now, if you get any indication there's an infection going on (fever or pain) or feel your throat may close up, that would be a different picture.

I used to feel like my throat was so dry it stuck together at times, particularly at night. It turned out to be a combination of mouth breathing and sleep apnea.

If you'd feel more comfortable about it, never hurts to see the doc, except maybe in the wallet.

Chronic sinusitis or chronic allergic rhinitis can lead to the saliva changes making them sticky and thick. A CTscan of the sinuses may help with the diagnosis.  If chronic sinusitis is diagnosed, a course of oral antibiotics or steroids can be considered.  

Are you taking some medicines like diuretics, antihistamines, antidepressants and muscle relaxants? They can also cause sticky saliva and dry throat and mouth. Alcohol abuse, stress and depression are other important causes.

Diabetes and hypothyroidism are also known to cause such symptoms.Pls get your self evaluated for that. Other medical conditions include nerve (to salivary glands) damage, Autoimmune conditions such as Sjogren's syndrome and sarcoidosis - the inflammation of body tissue.

I feel that you should get yourself thoroughly examined by a physician/ENT specialist and start with the treatment. Till that time, chew sugar free gum or suck on sugar free sweets and drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine drinks.Pls don’t smoke tobacco or drink alcohol and brush and floss thoroughly and regularly to avoid a build up of plaque which leads to tooth decay.

Hope it helped. Take care and do keep posting.

Hi again. Well I still have a cold - but my neck feels like it's sticking a lot less...

But, another thing's come up where the left side of my neck (I think it's the lymph node" is really swollen, but not on my right side. I'm wondering what this is and if it has any relation to my sticky neck/cold?
bump