Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Thumb nail problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Thumb nail problem

I hope i'm in the right forum here, sorry if i'm not though.  I have a problem with my left thumb nail, the  nail itself looks normal but to the left hand side of the nail grows what i can only describe as another nail (as it is nail consistency)  i have to cut it out with clippers etc as it seems to grow the same as my other nails.  It is a real pain and if i knock it it hurts quite a bit. I have been to my doctors twice about it now and no one seems to know what it is, and just suggest keep cutting it down; but i hate it it looks really unsightly.  Has anyone come across this before?

How are you?
This abnormal growth of your thumb nail could have been triggered by trauma or infection of the nail bed.
Do you have a history of trauma to the nail bed? Since when do you have this problem?
Please consult a dermatologist about it. Take care!

Hi Interesting you should say about the trauma to the nail bed, i was five when i shut the same thumb in a car door but i did not have this nail problem until i was about 19 years old.  Is there any reason why it would take this long to see this extra bit of nail?  Also do you know whether this can be removed, or any treatment for it as it is so unsightly. I don't understand though what a dermatologist can do though i thought they are skin related or do they treat nails too?

Yes it is little improbable that the abnormal nail growth should occur after so many years, but this seems the only probable cause as of now. Please refer to the link below it may be useful.
http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic329.htm
A dermatologist takes care of the nails as well. On second thoughts may be a hand surgeon will be better.

Thankyou for the link, i have  had a look but much of it is over my head i'm afraid. The things is its difficult to get my doctor to refer me to a specialist as i just keep getting the same answer of keep cutting it back, i just wish they would refer me as its very upsetting; and i would feel too pushy to suggest it to the doctor as i understand its really a cosmetic issue; but still important to me.
I feel too that it has something to do with the car door but i can't see why either it would wait until i was 19 to show itself!