Thyroid symptoms
I have had hypothyroid symptoms for a long time. When I have levels checked they are within normal limits. I have thinning hair, brittle nails, weight gain, fatigue, memory problems. I have been told to have my cortisol levels checked. I recently had a physical and the blood work that goes along with it plus thyroid testing again. My level was something like l.24. Which is within normal limits according to my lab. Are cortisol levels normally checked or do I need to ask specifically for that test. I have quite a lot of stress and was told to have the cortisol checked.
TSH can be "normal" with hypothyroidism.  90% of hypothyroid cases is autoimmune, mainly due to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Excerpt from the book - Why do i still have thyroid symptoms? when my lab tests are normal by Dr Kharrazian >>> http://www.thyroidbook.com/

"Hashimoto's Disease and "Normal" Lab Results

Jan - TSH 4.5
Feb - TSH 0.08
Mar - TSH 2.3
April - TSH 3.8
May - TSH 8.7
June - TSH 7.4
July - TSH 1.6

One reason hypothyroidism goes misdiagnosed is because a person with Hashimoto's can present with normal TSH. This graph illustrates the monthy TSH levels of a person with Hashimoto's who is receiving no treatment. As the autoimmune condition flucuates, TSH levels vary wildly. Using standard lab range of 0.45 - 4.5 this person would fail to be diagnosed. During the month of March the patient's TSH even falls within functional range 1.8 - 3.0. That's why also testing for immune antibodies and evaluating symptoms and history are so vital."

Thyroid tests and what they mean >>>
http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/bloodtests_2.htm
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms you are facing can be due to subclinical hypothyroidism or even due to Hashimotos Thyroiditis. Hence it is important to get thyroid antibodies tested. The other possibility is PCOD with hormone imbalance. The third possibility is adrenal gland dysfunction. So cortisol levels will have to be tested. It can even be very low iron.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!