Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Tight knee after total knee replacement

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Tight knee after total knee replacement

My mother had total knee replacement 19 months ago. We just came from the dr and she feel frustrated. She continues to feel tightness around her knee. It is tender and still hurts. She said that it feels like she has a tourniquet around  her knee  The doctor has taken x-rays, done a bone scan, did a blood test and says that structurally everything is ok. Blood tests tell him that there is no infection He has no answers for why it feels tight and still is sore. Can you be of help and tell us what might be the reason for tightness?
thank you
How are you?
What your mother is experiencing is surgical soreness. Normally this surgical soreness lasts for a few weeks.
Application of ice packs may be useful. Take care!

Post knee replacement problems:

My mother who is 81 did experience surgical soreness for quite. It was so sore that she could barely touch the skin. That has healed itself.She has used lots of ice. It is the tightness that feels like a tourniquet squeezing around her leg that causes her problems. Do you have any explanation for this? She also has troubles starting to walk when she gets up. She has to stand there a moment before she can take off. It is like she has to tell her left leg to move.

My mom is a very active person. She would greatly appreciate any help as the dr. has no answers to the tightness. He just says that it is surgically sound.

Thank you.

Normally the surgeon places a tourniquet around the thigh to reduce the blood flow to the joint. It is unusual that this feeling is persisting even after surgery.
There is a possibility that this is due to muscle spasm around the joint. I would suggest that she continue with the ice packs and take OTC painkillers which will reduce the swelling and the tenderness.
Take care!
My mother is still experiencing tightness of the knee that has been surgically replaced 2 years ago.
Somebody said that she has a baker's cyst. Tell me what you know about this.