Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Tongue is cracked, red, burns and is painful

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

After surgery about a year ago on my knee, I noticed that my tongue developed cracks in it.  I was told it was possibly due to the anestesia.  Since, then it has not gone away.  This has now gone to the roof of my mouth as well.  No doctor, even the specialist knows what it is.  He has me taking Predensone(?) dissolving on my tongue 3 times a day.  This does not seem to be helping either.  Does anyone know what this is.  Per my doctors, this in not geographic tongue.  It seems especially sore when eating acidy fruit or spicy seasonings.  What's wrong with me????
I posted this question for my dad who is 68 years old, not taking birth control pills.  Says he doesn't have any mouth ulcers, just this strange looking tongue with lines throughout, that burns and is sore, spreading to the roof of his mouth.  He is a relatively healthly person, hasn't taken any medication for anything except muscle aches & pains over the years.  He did take alot of pain medication when he was in the hospital for the knee surgery & post op. pain relief.
I had mouth ulcers, and the Dr. gave me 1mg. Rx Folic Acid. They cleared up in 2 weeks. If you already take a daily multivitamin, just add a folic acid supplement to equal about 1mg. a day.
MY DAD DOES NOT HAVE MOUTH ULCERS.  HIS TONGUE HAS DEEPS LINES ALL OVER IT LIKE A MAP, BUT IT'S RED AND BURNS.
I believe your father has had an adverse reaction to an antibiotic given at the hospital.  I had that happen to my tongue from levaquin.  It can happen from cipro, avelox any flouroquinolone.
I have the same thing.  My tongue has cracks/crevaces and some of my taste buds seem to look white.  It's so so sore and has been this way for over a week.  I have been using mouthwash regularly to try to get some relief but all it does is set my entire mouth on fire to the point I could scream.  I don't know what to do about it.  It feels as tho I've put my tongue into a hot poker, it feels burned or scorched.  Mostly on the tip or the first 1/4th portion.  If anyone has any ideas I'm ready to try most anything.  It's difficult to eat.

Thanks,
gladstone
I've had this with my tongue for about 3 years now. It started with a thrushy white patch on my tongue.  I hadn't been on any medication or been sick, either.   I saw an ENT specialist and he said it was just a thing that happens sometimes.  (Did I waste my money on that visit?)  I don't think my Primary Physician bought it either, but no other ideas.  My dentist said the same thing as the specialist.  Yes, mouthwash burns like fire. I was told to stop brushing my tongue, as well.  I no longer have any burning from spicy food and have learned to just live with it.
I have this problem also I thought maybe it was due to my inhaler i take advair for COPD. The pain is excruciating perhaps i did not do a good job in rinsing my mouth and i'm experiencing a chemical burn. I am about to try the folic acid because i ran out of tylenol with codine.
I have had cracked tongue for years.  Deep crevase almost
divides it.  There are bumps, red spots, burning like fire and also the roof of my mouth.  Often small sores or blisters on tongue and inside jaws.
No dentures.  Don't smoke.  
No doctor has diagnosed this.
True I take several medications:  Celebrex,Synthroid,Diatilzem, Lotensen, Metformin, Prevacid, COq10, Fish oil, Vitamins, folate, Ambien.    However, I had this tongue problem before this list got this long....  
One doctor doing a physical shined a flashlight into my mouth and while dictating to her assistant, stated "tongue clear and healthy."   I thought 'what would she call unhealthy?".
Other doctors seem to ignore this as unimportant - yet my mouth is burning as I type!
Does anyone have a clue??
im guessing its yeast infections, candida, .but thats a complete guess

i have mild tounge fungus and when i try to kill my candida the tounge gets better.
I picked up the bad habit of smoking cigars from a friend about 7 1/2 years ago. About 5 years ago, I started getting a tongue that felt a little swollen and scorched on the tip. I went to the doctor and they said it probably is Thrush. I've taken Bifidobacteria & Lactobacilli from the Health food store and that helped. I was smoking 1 cigar a day. I would stop for a week when the thrush became noticable again, then start up on smoking a cigar a day again. I've been smoking about a 1/2 cigar a day for about 1 1/2 years. I never was a real smoker. I would buy a pack of cigarettes about 3 times a year It was'nt until I was 41 that I started smoking cigars. The first year i smoked about 1 or 2 a week. then 1 a day for about 5 years. I'm scared now about my tongue always feeling scorched on the tip. It's not  painful, but it feels like i just recently had a sip of some hot coffee and feels a little bit scorched. I sometimes thought i'm being a worry wart. I go to the doctor they take a look at it and say STOP SMOKING !!!.I do for a few days , but then start back up. I stopped cigars 5days ago. I want to live. I've been so STUPID and STUBBORN about it for years. I HOPE I'm OK. To be continued
I have had this condition my whole life and like some of the about i have just learned to live with it.  I also have a geographic tonuge, but the cracking is a totally different condition.  my doctor says that it is something i have to live with.  it gets worse at all sorts of different times (when i drink, when i'm sick, a week before my period, after eating buffalo wings etc...)  and although some of these times are realted to the geographic-ness of my tonuge, its still annoying.  My only advise would be to just avoid the foods that make it worse.  Like a lactose intolerant person avoids dairy, it won't kill you, you'll just pay for it later.  ;) hope this helps
My sister has just been diagnosed with cracks in tongue.  She has been prescribed Niacin.
Check it out..it might help.
You might not be getting enough in your diet.
ive actually never had a patient with this.  my father has this, his is accompanied with xerostomia (dry mouth), which is a complication of his smoking. what i recommend for everyone is to start taking your b vitamins, mainly folate and riboflavin, of course to stop smoking, and avoid unneccassary antibiotics. these are the measures we took for him, your case could differ greatly, good luck MD.
Hello. I have a tingling/numb tongue, mainly the tip which is red, for over two months.
I finally saw a doctor who knew right away that it was a fungus cured with anti-fungus medicine called Triflucan by Pfizer (active ingredient Fluconazole).
Dentists can detect it as well. She told me it is due to a change in my digestive system and is not contagious but that my overall balance has changed in my saliva and this sometimes causes a fungus. It can also happen if you are on anti-biotics. So, for any of you who have had this sensation of a burned tongue that is not going away, it is worth seeing a doctor or dentist.
On BBC America there is this show called You Are What You Eat. The host of that show has had several people she is helping developed a cracked-type tongue.  She usually works with very obese people.  She has said to her people it is due to diet and a lack of essential vitamins and minerals.  What they are I can't remember but I just started with this problem and am researching the issue which is how I found this site.  I have been extremely ill with several illnesses and must admit my nutrition has been poor so this may be the answer.  If I can find out what is lacking in my diet and this works I will post the answer.  
I have had this problem since stopping smoking 7 months ago, mouth ulcers, burning painful tongue, esspecially the tip. cracked and sore most of the time. i get some relief by dabbing the affected areas with propolis available from health food shops.  it can be dilluted and gargled, or used neat. I lost my dad at the same time and bacame very run down, so it could be stress related, BUT IT WONT GO AWAY! IT IS SO ANNOYING.

Kim
I'm trying to help my pregnant sister in law with the same condition by doing some research - I guessed it was a vitamin deficiency when she first asked me. My mum and I sometimes suffer with sore and cracked tongue during times of intense stress or worry but it normally corrects itself. I've just found this if it helps anyone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue
I had something diagnosed 9 years ago.  It is called oral lichen planus.  There is a white film which is on my tongue, gums and cheeks.  My tongue will get swollen, painful and cracks in it at times.  

For years we thought it was thrush because I was treated with prednisone. Saw many doctors and then finally one ENT diagnosed and had a biopsy to confirm.
I had my tonsils removed (at age 52) a couple weeks ago.  Immediately after surgery, my complaint was how much my tongue hurt. My ENT Doc said that it probably was between the plate that they put in your mouth and my teeth (I bit it). It has not gotten better, and I noticed deep cracks in it - going right down the center.  Initially it felt like it was asleep and tingled, then it got really painful, now, although it isn't as painful, it does hurt most of the time. but especially when I eat spicy or acidic.
This is a common symptom of pernicious anemia, which is fatal if not diagnosed correctly.  Treatment if vitamin B-12 supplementation, starting first with frequent vitamin b shots.  A person can have this conditon for many years (10 or more yrs.) before finally showing up on a blood test=low rbc (red blood cell), low hematocrit, low hemaglobin, high MCH or MCV.  Takes years before showing any abnormalities in these tests, however, can show early in the test for methymalonic acid (MMA) and homocysteine (effects on the heart).  This is an early indicator of b-12 deficiency (this type of deficiency is called pernicious anemia) and the test is for the tissues, an early marker before finally showing up in the blood.  Anyone taking Prilosec (and some other acid-reducers) are at a high risk for PA due to the stomach's intrinsec factor (cells in the stomach's lining & acid production) being damaged/inhibited.  Studies have shown b-12 deficiencies in those taking Prilosec, etc., as early as 2 mos. of continuation of this type of drug/acid-reducer/s.  Hope this helps.  One other thing, if you are presently taking b-12 supplements it will mess up the results of these tests (any & all of these tests).  Should go off b-12 for at least one month prior to testing & inform your doctor of such.
I am 60 years old and developed this problem in May, 2008.  The symptoms are similar to many posts in this page:

- sores started at tip of tongue
- was prescribed an anti-biotic by a doctor, but worsened the problem
- sores advanced covering 1/3 of tongue
- cracks developed in the middle of tongue
-  strong burning sensation
- developed a metal taste in mouth

After mentioning this to an Indian friend of mine, she recommended using pure salt (i.e. the salt granules, not diluted in water).  In just two weeks I have improved dramatically; the sores and cracks have disappeared!  The burning sensation still remains, but is much more tolerable; it is about 70% gone.

What I do is cover the entire surface of my tongue with salt and keep it there 3 - 4 minutes then rinse with water.  Do this 2 times per day.  You will feel a strong burning sensation for about 30 minutes after each treatment, but DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED!  After two weeks, the burning sensation is much less and the sores and cracks have gone.

Also, my doctor has prescribed me an antacid, 20 mg Omeprazole, for the metal taste and cramps.  This medication is used to prevent acid buildup in the stomach.   This was prescribed to control the metal taste.  I have been using this medication for 3 days and it has definitely helped.

I hope this helps some of you, please report back!
Some comments from someone who has had a sore red tongue off and on over the last few years.
I take a high dose (100mg) multi vitamin each day.  When my tongue gets sore I add extra 100mgs of B2 and B6.  This used to do the trick.
Lately it hasn't and I have added Folic Acid which improved my tongue immediately (50mg) per day for some weeks.  NOw the sore red  tongue is back and after reading the above comments decided to try coconut oil to see if it is indeed some type of fungus.  Immediate result.  Tongue this morning is normal colour with no soreness.  Will keep posted on results.
Correction to my previous comment.  Typo the 50 mgs of Folic should read
5 mg Folic
I periodically get this tongue condition and have for the past 30 years.  First couple of times the crack was so deep it bled.  I do get it from a round of antibiotics & my doctor gives me diflucan which kills the thrush & the tongue does heal.  When not caused by thrush I take a mouthful of Mylanta II & soak my tongue it in to soothe & coat.  Then I swallow some to coat my stomach.  My doctor & I think that it's from GERD.  Although I'm not experiencing any reflux while awake we think it's happening while I sleep.  Acids from the stomach make sense.  I have it now & will consult the doctor if the Mylanta II does not do the trick.  Note: Prilosec & Nexium, for me, made my stomach & tongue worse.
I am a 33 year old female. I've had a geographic tongue since childhood and at some point in the past 10 years or so it changed over to a tongue with lots of deep cracks in it. It is very sensitive to some foods and the sensitivity varies by the day. I have never smoked, drank alcohol or done anything other drugs. I wasn't on medications except for prednisone for 5 days due to random hive outbreaks back in college and a low dose antibiotic when I was a teenager for acne. A dentist once prescribed me something to get rid of thrush, but it didn't work, because it isn't thrush. I had one episode where my entire mouth tasted metalic for about a week and it all became inflamed. The doc did a full blood panel test and everything showed normal.  He prescribed prilosec....what a joke.  It wasn't due to reflux.  He said probably a virus.  After that it went back to my normal cracked tongue. I have had the daily B6 shots....when I was pregnant...didn't help the tongue. Anybody have any other ideas???
I have a cracked tongue, and ridges on the side.  It's been this way for several years.  My doctor and an herbalist says it is a B12 deficiency.  I just started using 17 drops each morning under my tongue.  Does anyone know how long it takes to heal?  Thanks
it sounds like a nutritional defiency.
people often lose theyre bodys vitamins afte taking certain medications .
and when under stress.
i would say to everyone take a multivitamin with good doses of ALL b-vitaamins (prefrably 50mg+ ) and to take a good seperate dose of vitamin b-12 ,folic acid and iron .
and if need be ask your doctor for b12 defiency tests and maybe injections.
I have also had these exact same symptoms for many years off and on. The symptoms have been constant the past year.  An orthodondist friend of mine recommended Lactinex.  This is an over the counter medicine that is kept in the refrigerator in the pharmacy.  I have found that the granuales work the very best.  All of my symptoms are 98pct gone!!!!  I really could not believe the cure was so simple, since in the past I had tried MANY other things.  
Hope this may help!
I have had the same condition, it started a year ago after having my third child.  I first developed thrush with burning on tongue.  The thrush got better after anti fungal medicine but my tongue was still white, burning and looks unhealthy, dry.  

I went to my doc again, the blood tests he ordered came back normal and told me it should go away, it didn't so  I went to an ENT.  He told me it could be my stomach and to take anti reflux meds.  It did nothing.  My dentist said it was burning mouth syndrome or hormones and it should go away.

A year later and learning to live with it, after tea tree oils, all kinds of remedies.  I still have a very white, burning, dry, cracked sometimes yellow scummy tongue.

My next stop will be a gastic doc.  Why can't these docs find out what this is?  I keep my mouth very clean. I anyone has or had this problem, I would really appreciate any input so I can get my tongue back to normal or fix an underlying condition.

A related discussion, possible causes of severe cracks in tongue undiagnosed was started.
A related discussion, FSC cigarettes playing havoc with my tongue was started.
I'm just now dealing with this, and I can't eat at this point!  The "imaginative" option I chose for the time being is to liquify everything before I eat it ...ever had a turkey burger with pesto & asiago and a serving of spinach in the form of thick soup?  I can't recommend it.  And I'm being both circumspect and polite.  =8-P.  I'm fascinated by the colic acid idea, but I think my next stop is a TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) doctor.  They know from tongues.  Also, remember that M.D.s are trained for acute care medicine, and if it isn't an acute situation they either wait until it is or pretend that it is.  It's not their fault that they're oblivious of their ignorance -there's been a lot of time and money devoted to marketing this care as primary and optimum.  It isn't, but there's always hope as long as you can find a health care expert that HAS been trained to work with the body instead of trying to whip it into shape.  The body is set up to heal itself; and we all just have to learn to give it what it needs to maintain that health, once achieved.  First stop is a Naturopath and a "knee-chest" Upper Cervicsl Specific Chiropractor.  It's worth every penny.  I'm feeling better already just having a logical direction to go ...and, in the meantime, I'm going to surrender to Orgain organic meal replacement shakes so I fon't have to best the burning on my tongue. (Don't drink Ensure - read the ingredients and you'll see why:  It's vile!)
Did you get a diagnosis and/or any effective treatments?
Dd you ever get a diagnosis for this issue or effective treatments?
It all sounds to me like geographic tongue. Stress can flare it up. Eating pineapples especially or peanuts will make your tongue sore. Chewing spearmint gum helps or to put a piece of mint in your mouth will numb the pain. If you can stand the pain of mouthwash for a few minutes that may help. You can try to take vitamin b100 complex it helps somewhat.
  Sodium Perborate (aka Vince's Mouthwash) comes to mind.  It is great as a rinse for all kinds of tongue and oral problems.  It also cures thrush.

Wishing you the best