Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Trapezius/Rhomboid/Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Trapezius/Rhomboid/Shoulder Pain

I am a 23 year old male, and I have been miserable for the past year with pain that starts in my trap and radiates down my rhomboid and out to my shoulder. It feels like my whole left side is knotted up, and at times it feels like it's on fire. I used to lift weights 3-4 days a week, however my left side is so irritated that I can no longer perform any upper body exercises without it becoming aggravated. It has become so bad that it is extremely difficult to focus, and I am beside myself. I have had a neck MRI which revealed that I have a minor disc bulge at my C5, but the doctors say that this isn't enough to cause any significant pain. I have also asked to have an MRI of my shoulder, but no one is willing to give me the recommendation because they all feel the MRI will show nothing since I have good range of motion and normal strength. I have been to physical therapists, massage therapists, chiropractors, acupuncturists, all of which seem to make it worse. I have also tried taking different anti-inflammatory medication, all to no avail. At this point, I am willing to try anything, and I am open to suggestions. It is very discouraging going from doctor to doctor, and not getting any answers. I have recently been going to yoga, and using a foam roller at an attempt at self myofascial release, but so far I have not seen much improvement. I was also told that I should get an EMG test, however I am hesitant to do so. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, have you been able to find any relief?
Have you ever broken a bone, torn a muscle or anything like that, in these areas? Or maybe you didn't even realise you'd damaged something and its HEALED WRONG especially if you've been doing weights. Are you still doing weights cause you also may have strained something and it can't heal because you keep using that area. Just a thought, other than that i'd keep pestering the doc til he listens, get to the bottom of it or it may just keep getting worse.
i have , i getting burning sensations as well in my back and what u have going on is constriction and when u go to a physical; therapist it seems to get worse because your working those muscles, but.....after awhile that will stop, i go through it everyday of my life....I have Fibromyalgia so im always in pain , just some days are worse than others.....not an expert but what i was told is you have to work thru the pain for it to loosen up....it ***** but you will start feeling better after awhile.......dont stop the upper body excercises because the longer u go the worse it will be , work your muscles.....you could have fibromyalgia.....maybe check with someone about that.....
Good Luck!
Answr this:
Do [did] you do latisimous dorsy
Heavy reps behind your neck?

Do [did] you do medial deltoid reps using both arms,
and did you raise your arms equal to or above your shoulders?
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's interesting that you mentioned the torn muscle... about a year ago when I was playing basketball I went up for a shot and felt like I pulled or strained something in my upper back, close to my trap. I remember that night I could barely move my head or neck. I went to PT for it, and they actually got me out of pain. However, I started working out again after it was feeling better and that's when I re-injured it. Maybe I did have a slight tear or strain and it never properly healed. I kept working out even though it was bothering me, so I'm sure that has made it worse.

And yes, I was doing a lot of lateral and overhead shoulder exercises, as well as back exercises like standing rows. I tried to make sure that I was using both arms equally each time, however my left side is considerably weaker now due to the pain in my trap area.
The most important medical advise that you did not mention is from a physical medicine MD.

tell him that you have an over abuse injury do to lifting heavy free weights.

check for rotator cuff damage, also, trigger points [muscle knots ].  

See what he thinks about cortisone shots, and prolotheropy.

If he doesn't know what prolotheropy is, find another Dr.

PS:  Look up prolotheropy using google.

Best SZH