Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Trapezius and Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Trapezius and Shoulder Pain

Im 31 years old and about 9 months ago i started getting right shoulder pain and then i started getting knife-stabbing pain in rib cage and trapezius area. i also have pain on side of neck and stiffness in right shoulder. The rib cage appears to be swollen and i have knots in trapezius area and it is tender and painful when i touch it. the pain starts out mild but then it becomes severe and no pain killer is working. Most mornings the pain is gone but the area is a little tender. The pain is appearing more often and lasting longer periods.

I have seen a neurosurgeon who requested an MRI of the cervical spine and brain done and they seemed normal. I also have seen a chiropractor and physiotherapist but nothing seems to be helping.

Do you have any ideas what this could be?

1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
If there is pain in right shoulder, it means that the right diaphragm is being irritated. Burning in upper stomach usually due to acidity, GERD or reflux disease or hiatal hernia can all cause right diaphragm irritation. Heavy meals or acidity that cause distension of the duodenum or any cause for distension of the small intestine can cause referred pain/burning to shoulder. Pain under right shoulder blade is usually due to gall stones, duodenal ulcer and liver infection.
The pain could also be due to shoulder pathology like bursitis, rotator cuff injury, arthritis etc.
Trapezius muscle is a common muscle to be overused in computer and mouse users, in people who drive long distances or are working on an assembly unit.
It could also be due to pinched cervical spinal nerves. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. Another possibility is ankylosing spondylitis. The MRI of spine has probably ruled these out.
In your case you must look at gall stones and duodenal ulcer as the cause as you also feel stabbing pain in the chest.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage without examining. Do consult your doctor and discuss this.   Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!