Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Traumatic Fall

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Traumatic Fall

I fell down 5 to 7 hardwood steps 4 years ago. I landed on my left buttock most on each step.  Since the fall I have gone to several doctors who are unsure what my base problem is: I have a large baseball lump on the left buttock that is extremely painful so I have to sit on a pillow- hematoma is ruled out.  I have spasms that go from hip to just below my knee. Sometimes my left leg is numb. Also, have severe swelling just above the sacral area. I have had numerous tests and have been told I have piroformis, S1 Joint syndrome and sciatic damage.  But every doctor has a different diagnosis.  The MRI's are not showing anything or the xrays other than a fractured coccytus that has healed.  I cannot sit or stand or walk for any long length of time. My bladder recently has enlarged and the doctor says definitely severe nerve damage. The neurologist who was hired by workmans comp said he didnt see nothing. I know he performed the test wrong because the machine was making lots of noises and he kept lifing my legs because I couldnt. I ended up in tremendous pain after that test.  I am on ultraset, hydrocodone, nueronotin, wellbutrin, zanaflex, soma at times, klongopin, vesicare, and blood pressure medicine. Before I got injured I was extremely healthy.  Now I am being treated by a  pain clinic, I have had 18 epidurals and 6 botox injections.  I need help and answers but I dont know where to go.  All doctors are at odds with each other treating the symptoms and not the problem. I hope you have some advice for me- I am lost at wits!
Wow, I hope you get some responses from people who can help you, but  your situation is a tough one. I am so sorry about your pain and having to take so much medication....you probably feel like the med's are just 'bandaids' .  My suggestion is to find a SPECIALIST, not chiropractors, although I believe very much in them, or neurologists....maybe a sports injury practice like Hughston Clinic. They can help with strength training/rehab, which will serve as the foundation toward healing. Maybe they can even help wean you off some of the med's...you don't want to be on them the rest of your life, I'm sure, because they will create other problems in the long run. Phillipians 4:13, " I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
Hi, Thanks for your response.  All the doctors I went to were so called specialists.  I have also had aquatic rehab and regular rehabilitation, which was discontiued because it tightened up the muscles rather than relax it. That was for 2 years after the fall in 2003.   My quest is to find someone who has had a like problem and what specialist did they go to - to get help.  Thats why I posted - I believe there is a way.  I just dont know where to go. And yes I would love to be off meds - would love to have some functional lifestyle. Thanks so very much for responding and giving me encouragement.
Hello,  I am searching for a solution as well. In March 2009 while arriving
to work got out the car and fell on the ice. I had to crawl across the parking lot to find a spot to stand up. Since then I have had so much pain internal and external. I fell on my left knee and upper left extremity. I was put on light duty referred to PT, but experienced some chest pains was admitted to the hospital for a day. Did a stress test and it put me right back to where I started in the beginning before I went to PT. I had been cured of my sciatica, but now I am experiencing the same pain and more. I was alright before this fall. Is there someone out there who can advise us where to obtain some relief? Shaja3118