Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Twitching finger and thumb, decreased memory, increased headaches and o...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Twitching finger and thumb, decreased memory, increased headaches and other symptoms, could mean what?

Lately I have been experiencing some symptoms that have me a little bit concerned. To give you a quick history on me- I am a young, fit, 24 year old male. I am 6 feet tall and weight 210 pounds. Past medical issues include tonsillectomy when I was 16, gallbladder removal when I was 21. No other surgeries. No other issues. I am not taking any medications besides the occasional over the counter headache medicine. I rarely get sick.

About 2 years ago I began having headaches. I had dealt with headaches before, but not on a regular basis like that. I saw an optometrist who said my eyes were fine. Over the past two years, the headaches have become more regular and have increased in severity. The headaches are localized mainly in the front of my head, on the right side. I would describe the pain as a throbbing pressure. Sleep will help relieve the headache sometimes, and an Excedrin Migraine will knock it out for a day. I could cover up the pain with Excedrin, and do when I need to, but I do not want to use it often. In the last 3 months, I have also had random shooting pains that start in the back of my head and shoot over the top. The pain is extreme and lasts for only about ½ second. This happens once or twice a day.

In the past 6 months, I have been noticing a decrease in memory. I feel like I cannot remember things the way I used to. I used to forget words on an occasional basis, but it is now to the point where I forget words with almost every other sentence. I also have a hard time remembering events. Often times it takes me a good two to three minutes to remember what I did the night before. This has only been a big issue in the last 2 to 3 months.

Also about 6 months ago, I began experiencing a shocking, zap like feeling in my leg muscles when I would walk. These shocks usually happen on my thighs, on the front.

Two weeks ago I was sitting in a class and noticed that my left thumb was twitching. It was literally jumping, completely involuntary. Later that day I noticed that my index finger on the same side had started jumping as well. The twitching does not happen when my hands are busy, but when my hands are just resting, my thumb and index finger jump back and forth. I thought it was maybe a sign of low vitamin levels. I began taking daily multi vitamins but the twitches have remained. I'm eating healthy and getting plenty of sleep, but the twitches are just as strong as ever.

I have not thought a lot about these issues up until the last two weeks. Quite frankly putting all of these symptoms together has got me a little worried that something is up. I began doing some reading and I'm slightly worried about Parkinson's Disease or Multiple Sclerosis. I will probably see a doctor within the next month but I wanted to see what everyone thought first. Especially if I get a doctor’s reply on here- Dr can you give me your top 3 choices of preliminary diagnoses? Thanks everyone. I'm just curious to see what I'm told.
I have same symptoms.It sound like you have vitamin D3 deficiency, try to test ur level and see how that goes.
Have you been tested (accuratley - Igenex) for Lyme Disease?  I have chronic Lyme that wasn't caught in time and I had many odd/unexplained symptoms appear out of nowhere.  Muscle twitches (fasciculations) were and still are among the most prevalent and annoying symptoms for me as well as severe headaches, odd parathesias, brain fog, hair loss etc.  Some basic info:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/about_lyme.html

Take care - I know what a frustrating and scary journey any unexplained symptoms can lead you on.  I hope you find answers.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Localized causes for thumb and index fingers twitching would be carpel tunnel syndrome. It could just be benign twitching without any neurological cause. Also a pinched cervical nerve can cause this along with the shock like feelings in your leg. Parkinson’s disease is another possibility. Memory loss can be due to stress, low Vit D or due to thyroid disorders. The possibility of Lyme’s disease, diabetes affecting peripheral nerves should also be looked into. Hope this helps. Take care!