Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Undiagnoed Hair Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Undiagnoed Hair Loss

Hi There,

Sorry for the long post, but I don’t want to leave anything out.

I am an otherwise healthy male in my 20’s.

I have been noticing an unusual amount of hair loss for approx 1 month, especially in shower and when running my hands through my hair – hair comes out of my scalp even with the most gentle rubbing with my hands. My hair is now noticeably thinner in volume and different in shape to me but perhaps not others. It is all over not in patches (as far as I have noticed).

My Eyebrows are thinning noticeably also and I notice a lot of eyebrow hair shed each day. Something very strange is that some eyebrow hairs almost seem to be changing color – almost white. I am losing the eyebrow hair from the middle of my face outward. The hairs that fall from my brow at first droop as if they are ‘too heavy’ for the follicle, then come out with the slightest touch – most have some kind of bulb but are also white/blonde half way up from the root before they turn to the normal black color that my eyebrows have always been. I would say that they have now thinned all over and I have completely lost approx ½ - 1cm from the middle end of each eyebrow. I suppose you could say there are some mild bald patches in my eyebrows which used to be very, very thick indeed.

Eyelashes are also being affected.

It might just be me being paranoid but I might also say that my hair in general (all over) is getting slightly thinner & more susceptible to falling out.

The only other strange occurrence at similar timing to this hair loss is some skin irritation around the top half of my face, including the outer corners of my eye, eyelids, eyebrow region (strangely not where I have completely lost hair) and forehead. Some scalp irritation in also present. Some strange pimples are also present in areas of my eye/brow region which I have never had before, some (very) mild pitted skin around chin and darker follicles in the sides of my nose.

I have had a blood panel for all major organ functions, Thyriod function and a blood count which all came back absolutely fine. My GP has given me some shampoo for Seb Derm which has not really helped any of this – I was also under the impression that mild irritation of Seb Derm don’t cause hairloss either, just dandruff, which has gone with the use of this shampoo (and just general better hair care since this began happening).

I wouldn’t have said that my eyebrows or scalp hair is very itchy at all and I don’t ever really scratch them from itches. I do sometimes get a moving itch/foreign body sensation, but this can be anywhere on my body, most often face, head but again could just be me being paranoid.

I just generally get that feeling that my hair/skin is kind of foreign at the moment as if it is not the stuff that I have been used to my whole life. As you can probably tell, this is causing a very stressful time for me.

These hairs don’t seem to be growing back (from what I can tell looking at eyebrow loss), Could this pattern of hair loss, and the way in which it appears to be falling as explained with eyebrows etc indicative of stress or something else at work whether it be infection or an underlying systematic problem?

Any suggestions/answers etc would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Wilson
Did they include other endocrine tests, or just limit it to thyroid function?
For instance, did they test your prolactin level?  A prolactinoma on the pituitary is one cause of decreased body hair.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If no cause is found then it could be an autoimmune phenomenon where the body's immune system mistakenly thinks that the hair follicle is bacteria and tries to protect the body from it by attacking it. Thyroid hormones may have been normal, but a test should be done to rule out Hashimoto’s thyroidits which is an autoimmune disease. Alopecia, seborrhagic dermatitis, cancers, SLE, syphilis, leprosy and heavy metal or vitamin toxicity too should be looked into.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!