Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Undiagnosed Vertigo - caused car crash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Undiagnosed Vertigo - caused car crash

I am 25 years old and have had episodes of vertigo since I was about 13 or 14. They seem to be getting worse as I get older and more frequent. I have been to several doctors and have had tons of scans and tests but no one can give me any direction or help. Just 2 days ago I had a sudden onset of vertigo while driving that caused me to crash my car into the curb with my 9 month old son and dog in the back seat. I went to the ER and they held me overnight. They decided NOT to do an MRI (had one like 12 years ago) and sent me home with discharge instructions of "follow up with an ENT" - which I told them I had just been to about a year and a half ago. I NEED answers and I don't know where to go. If anyone has had similar symptoms as I and could shed some light on my situation that would be greatly appreciated. Here is a brief description of my episodes: spinning sensation, shifty floor, off balance, fuzzy head, slurred speech/can't find my words, slow processing, and sometimes silliness/giddiness. Interesting side note: while pregnant I did not have any episodes, after delivery my episodes were regular monthly around the same time, at 7 months my period returned (I am breast feeding) and my episodes are now sporadic and more frequent. In April the month my period returned I had a 10 day period where I had an episode every single day. Hormones? - thanks in advance
I watched an episode on television that i never thought would be helpfull; you seem to have the same symptoms there is a part of the brain that regulates the altitude and can in some individuals be set off say in a plane or drive to high altitude location.; it feels like when your walking the ground is moving there is a test for this they can perform by a specialist.;  your local md will know.
Your symptoms could be a number of things but you complain of things that are very similar to Arnold chiari malformation or another neurological condition. . My son has Chiari and I was shocked to see truly how under diagnosed it is. I am nit saying that is what it is..just a though.  Regardless of what everyone thinks it could be you need to insist on a new MRI since it has been so long since your last one and your symptoms are not normal.  
I work at an ENT and we see this type of thing all the time.  Have you had testing besides an MRI?  Sometimes vertigo is caused by inner ear problems as well as other things of course...these can be detected with balance studies like an ENG with VOR or CDP...I would ask your ENT doctor for specialized studies.  Our docs are able to help alot of people with this problem. Good luck to you.
Hi thanks for the comment... yes I have seen an ENT and had testing done for my ears. Basically all the doctors say, "We don't know what it is... sooo maybe it's menieres" even though I have perfect hearing. The trouble is I have issues with slurring speech and finding my words, it seems I have cognitive troubles during my episodes which leads me to believe its more of a brain thing than ear thing. Unfortunately the neurologist I saw today wasn't the least bit concerned about me and shrugged off my issue with follow up to your ENT. Everyone seems to just pass me along, no one wants to follow up and make sure I am ok... whatever I do have, I think it is probably rare because everything the doctors I see tell me I can read easily online. I think I come to the appointments more knowledgeable then them!
I'm sorry to hear that.  I wish I could give you better advice but I'm no doctor.  I hope you find someone thats willing to help you and hope you get better soon!
Thank you I really do appreciate your comments!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Possibility of an endocrine disorder like diabetes, thyroid or adrenal problems and PCOS are the most. The other possibilities could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck. Severe anemia too should be looked at.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Maybe you can seek another opinion. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Traumatic brain injury is another possibility.
Possible migraine or anxiety.
I think doctornee has the best possibilities.  I hope you aren't driving.  You could have seriously injured (or worse) your baby.  
Good luck in your work up.  Take care.
Thanks for your comment, but I don't have symptoms from just changing my posture...the ENT I went to made me do a bunch of tests where I have to sit up quickly and move my head around and they did tests with flashing lights, and even putting water into my ears. I've had blood tests, many of them - wouldn't that rule out diabetes, thyroid disease, etc.

Also to Jaquta - when I was 13 and first saw some doctors they thought it might be migraine related, but no medicines seemed to help, so I am not sure.

One of my concerns is my "fuzzy" head feeling and speech slurring/finding words - this aspect seems to be coming more often and getting worse :(

Thanks for your concern, I am not driving at this point. My husband and I decided that I need to have at least 24 hours of NO symptoms to be able to drive again.. it makes life very difficult, especially with work and taking care of my 9 month old, but better safe than sorry!!

Just hoping to find a doctor who can help me soon...
Hi!  i too suffer from vertigo.  I have had this problem for about 7 years.  Mine is more like i am always on unsteady ground.  I have episodes that are worse and seem to be triggered by movement.  For example, if I get off an elevator I am so dizzy i can barely walk.  I feel a lot of pain in my ankles most days but I am not sure if that is related.  I also get hives when I get cold and most recently developed sun allergy.  I am quite sure it is all related but no doctor has been able to help me so I pretty much have given up in that area.  My vertigo is the most debilitating of all my symptoms and i know how terrible u must feel.  I hope you get answers!
I had what was apparently a classic migraine last year and I had slurred speech, etc.  My doctor has said I have visual migraines and that they are vascular.  ??
Another possibility was a TIA but I don't know if they would keep recurring like that.

I thought doctornee had some good suggestions.
I was wondering what was different during your pregnancy.  As I'm not very familiar with other conditions I thought maybe that there was a dietary restraint during this period.  Caffeine, alcohol, ...?? maybe a trigger.  A food allergy??  That doesn't sound quite right.
I have now had episodes of vertigo in 9 out of the 18 days in this month so far.  

When I was younger if I had 3 episodes per year it was a lot.  Not sure what has changed...