Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Undiagnosed right knee, hip, lower back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a 27 year old female who has been suffering with undiagnosed right knee pain since 2005. I was working as a housekeeper (for a not great company) while going through nursing school. I started having moderate pain and swelling after school/work in my right knee. One day I was bent down making a bed (I'm 5'9") and felt my knee give out upon standing. I had 6-7 pain scale and instant swelling. The next morning I woke up with no feeling from my toes to groin in the right leg. I went to the ER where they gave me pain medication. The medication eradicated the numbness, but made the severe pain come. It has never left. They originally thought I had torn my meniscus, but were unable to do a MRI due to early pregnancy. I have been living through hell ever since. I have had an MRI (that was normal according to WCB), MANY rounds of intensive Physiotherapy, a scope in 2008 (they removed my shredded cartilage and said everything else was fine) which took me 3 months to recover from, synvisk injections, cortisone in my spine and knee, acupuncture, reiki, aquatherapy, periods of extreme rest, periods of extreme activity, OTC pain relievers, nerve blockers, anti depressants, cymbalta, sleeping pills, and the inevitable narcotic pain relievers. I have a hinged brace, tensors, a Zimmer splint, crutches, and a cane. I have seen 6 GP's, several orthopods, a rheumatoid arthritis specialist, various physiotherapists, etc. No one knows what is going on!! I have not had any scans or xrays in years. My doctor is focused on my quality of life (which I appreciate) but has no idea how to diagnose or fix whatever is going on. I live my days in constant extreme pain. I can barely walk, cannot sleep, but still try very hard to be active and be a good mom (I have 5 kids). I don't know where to turn. I just want to know WHY?!! Now the pain is spreading. It started out in my right knee, under the kneecap, and around the inside left, with it shooting down into my pinky toe, and up my right thigh. A few years ago my right hip became involved. It is tender to the touch, and radiates into my right buttock. A few weeks ago I woke up with extreme pain in my lower back, making it even harder to sit upright, bend, walk, etc. I also have unexplained swelling in my right knee, and my right ankle swells when I have busy days. Please. This "injury" impacts my entire life. I just want some answers.
Most of the pain now is probably coming from scar tissue ,the problem is they can lazer it out but you just get scar tissue again, You are most likely having a nerve impingement causing the pain in your back. It's like a domino effect when your knee hurt you walk different to protect your knee and it begins to effect the back. I have a couple things that may help you. !st Magnetic therapy works like a charm .You need to go to a health store and get some magnetic wraps ,the will health is up a lot bringing down the swelling and getting that tissue off the nerves. also try and fin a DO who does osteopathic manipulation (Strain-Counterstrain). I have worked on a lot of pilots who get nerve pain. If You can find one try an advance trained massage therapist that knows Myofacial Release. When you can Ice and elevate that knee,and go on some Glucosamine and Chondriten.(NOT SURE OF THAT SPELLING) it will keep your joints healthy, If nothing else try the magnets,I use them  for my MS and I couldn't get by with out them. I wish I could get my hands on  you, I am good at nerve pain ,the pain running down your leg to your toe is the sciatic nerve it comes out the hip. Please let me know how you do. I know it don't sound fun but yoga is very good for this but one thing at a time,Good Luck and I know more things but This should hopefully help you.
In this posting, you never had mentioned what specialist(s) that your doctor has referred you too.  NeuroSurgeon/Neurologist.  Has anyone done a Myelogram? These specialist  would be first to come to play as well as I am sure, you have been to an Orthopedic Surgeon who had done the knee surgery.  The swelling could be due to compression on the legs, thus creating swelling.  Have our doctor due you a service to send you to a NeuroSurgeon ASAP!  You sound like you have multiple issues.  One as well that plays extreme havoc could be the fact that you may want to have an MRI or CT Abdomen/Pelvis.  Women of all ages get Fibroids and they become very very large and go un-diagnosed but will create havoc on the Lubar-Sacral Plexis Nerves which will radiate down every part of leg/groin/hip/pelvis/low back pain etc. Causing compression!  Hence a lot of your symptoms!!!  Please look up Fibroids as well and see your OB-GYN.   Be Proactive!!!  
Rheumatoid arthritis?