Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Undiagnosed symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Undiagnosed symptoms

My husband has been ill for several years and has several diagnosed illnesses including diabetes, ulcerative colitis, CHF, and RA. He took a "cold" in October this year including cough, blisters inside his mouth, on his lips and under his nose, and down on his chin. He also had double ear infections. 2 trips to our family doctor and 1 to the ER, and he was put on 2 different antibiotics he proved allergic to. He finally started feeling a bit better, but on Wednesday last week he started again with the same symptoms. This time his temp got up to 104 degrees. We cannot get a definitive answer from any of the specialists what is wrong with him. He takes a boat load of medicine and feels terrible. It is beginning to affect his job performance and he doesn't feel like doing anything but laying in his recliner resting. He eats very little because his mouth and throat hurt so bad. He has developed a really severe cough this time to the point neither of us is getting any sleep. Can you think of any direction we might follow that would help us get a diagnosis and treatment so we can get on with our "golden years"?

Thx,
Vicki
Low-dose naltrexone is being found to be helpful for several of these autoimmune diseases.  It is not covered by insurance, and has to be mixed by a compounding pharmacy.  It costs around $30 to $40 a month.  If he takes prednisone, it could replace the prednisone and not have the side effects.  All of this assumes that his doctor will prescribe it though.  

With so many autoimmune diseases, make sure he is tested for Celiac disease.  Try stopping dairy.  He could substitute almond milk if he isn't allergic to nuts.  He could supplement with magnesium and vitamin D for some pain relief.  
Have you seen an Infectious Disease Specialist, or asked your PCP about viral agents that may be responsible for your husband's symptoms? Occasionally exposure to a pathogen will trigger a sort of "immune cascade" in which the body begins fighting a virus that hasn't been active for years, decades even, or a virus reactivates, as seen with Shingles (varicella zoster virus (VZV)). If autoimmune markers have been tested for and nothing stands out, viral titer loads and inflammation markers would be my next step for diagnostics.  

See:
Galley HF, Webster NR. The immuno-inflammatory cascade. Br J Anaesth. 1996 Jul;77(1):11-6. Review. PubMed PMID: 8703619.
Might sound daft but has he been tested for food allergies?  I know my father in law had similar symptoms to your husband, he used to get regular colds/flu like symptoms, hives/ large cysts all over his arms and legs, blisters in his mouth, rashes up his neck and face........the list was endless. We found out later that he had candida of the blood!  It means an incredibly difficult and very strict diet with NOTHING processed and you literally have to cut out everything but a month on the diet and he saw such an improvement.  Might be worth a look in to it. He was misdiagnosed so many times and it took years until someone suggested this to us.  Hope it helps or that you do find a cure for him.
Hello, I'M NOT A DR. Reading your story, esp. with the coughing I would suggest your husband see a 'PULMONARY" specialist. He can do a bronchial scope to see the type of bacteria he has in his lungs from coughing , SINCE HIS MEDS ARE NOT WORKING, NEXT IS PULMONARY.
Keep me posted, I too have a cough ...and would like to know how your husband is progressing...
BEST OF HEALTH, BLESSINGS,