Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplainable body odor.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplainable body odor.

Hey,

My name's Stephen. I have got this extremely painful (psycologicaly) problem relating to body odor despite very adequate hyigene. I bathe twice a day, use a good deodorant and wear clean clothes every time I go out. I do everything im supposed to but I still recive comments stating that I smell bad, sometimes directly and other times behind my back. I also get advese reactions on the bus such as people acutualy standing up and moving a row back when I sit in front of them - which (as you can imagine); is humiliateing. I have been the doctors once already regarding this but it wasn't very helpful. The doctor simply echoed me to do everything I already am doing and sent me on my way.. The problem still remains however.

If anyone has any suggestions at all as to what I need to do, please help me because this problem is now destroying my social life as I no longer have the confidence to be myself in public. I have become withdrawn as a result and i am genuinely starting to feel quite depressed; the problem seems to have started about 8 months ago.

Thanks alot
Stephen
Yes. You need to wash and take a good scrub brush with an anti-bacterial soap such as phisoxex. This product was banned except by prescription in the U.S. because people were poisoning children by scrubbing them every day in the stuff, but OR staff used to use it daily. Try an anti-bacterial cream on your underarms and pubic area.
Hey,

I have come to another consideration as to the source.. I am not a smoker but I do live with a smoker myself and she smokes indoors. It has recently been suggested to me that my body odor could be attributed to the fact that I breath in the smoke (Introduceing toxins to my body) and also the smoke getting onto my skin and clothing too. Is that a reasonable explaination to my body odor? I am used to the smell of tobacco by now as I have lived with smokers all my life so I cannot gauge or detect the smell myself but apparantly the smell of stale smoke is very offensive and strong. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Stephen
Quite a while ago someone else posted on hear with the exact same problem.  I was watching a few months back a show called Dateline which aired the same exact thing for people.  It is called Trimethylaminuria.  Where people no matter how much good hygene practices they have they continually put off an odor.  I grealty symptathize with you.  I can tell you if you do some research or possibly even get in touch with the show Dateline which airs in the states on channel 4 nbc they possibly can direct you inot getting the transcirpt which might help you further.  I remeber from watching the show alterations of food can greatly reduce the odor produces from the body.  The people interviewed on Dateline grealty altered what they ate and I believe took some type of pill with their diet which greatly suppressed the chemical release in the body that causes the problem.  Some of the people were grealty releved that whilethey didnt find a cure they had grealty changed the odor on their bodies. Hope you can find all your answers if you have any questions, I would be happy to try and do some more research for you,
Alchris may be on to something there.  I just wanted to let you know that for a few months my room smelled horrific, and no matter what I did I had this terrible smell, but once I stopped taking Liver based B vitamin supplements it went away.  So it really might have something to do with your diet.  Maybe you could try something more low protein, or at least balance out what meat and other proteins you eat w plenty of green vegetables and fruits, etc... I hope you don't let this get to you too much.  Sometimes the types of things that single us out strengthen us at the same time.  Experiences like this can make us feel alone, but maybe that's  so we can learn to relate to and help the lonely?  Anyway, I really think a dietary change will at least do SOME good.  Don't worry, you'll figure it out  :)
Hi everyone, im an 18 year old kid, with pretty good health... i have had a colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy (not sure of the spelling, sorry) every oscopy you could possibly imagine.  The bad news is that it came back negative for anything, but i was still carrying around this horrible odor.  I am very aware of personal hygiene and i have done ALOT of research on all of this.  I have not found an answer but just recently stumbled upon this trimethylaminuria disorder, and am encouraged.  However, if you guys don't have anywhere to start, I have heard that going to a psychologist could help becuase they it may be a form of OCD (which i find impossible, but i haven't tried it yet and heard it has cured some people).  Another possibility is a weak rectum and there are certain exercises you can do to strengthen it (mine is fine, so i know that this can't possibly be it).  
But I have even gone as far as checking out my hemorrhoids at specialty doctor and he found nothing
either!  I even told him that i think i smell and he denied it without even thinking about it... but i have noticed recently when i get out of the shower, and i go to bend down, i smell a rotten smell (after dowsing myself with cologne, soap, sprays).  This is not just in our heads, becuase i even remember walking in high school and i was late for a class so i ran a little, and past 2 kids who smelt it and smurked "that kid smelt like S".  It bothers me because obviously i shower and do things to try to improve myself, and secondly because i feel alone, and i used to have alot of friends, and was actually really social... now i feel just out of luck... this only started happening maybe 2 years ago... please, stick together to find something!
I smell even right after i take a shower. the only thing that mkaes the smell go away is for me to stop drinking coffee, tea, colas and any type of alcohol or eating anything with beans, vinegar, lemon, lime or orange juice in it. Then it takes 2-3 days for the chemicals to flush out of my system. All it takes is a tiny drop of these items to bring on the stink within a few minutes again and again it takes 2-3 days of abstinence for it to go away.
I have had this problem all my life. Recently i started taking zyprexa 2.5 mg (which is a low dose) and Paxil 20 mg. I'd take the paxil in the morning and take the zyprexa after ingesting as much of the offending items as i wanted and within 15 minutes the smell went away completely. It had a chemical reaction with my body that was great. I took the zyprexa twice a day beacsue I refused to give up the offending foods and drinks and it worked like a charm. I was changed to a different med becasue the side effect I EXPERIENCED WAS increased appetite and now i stink again. I wash under my arms and my crotch 3-4 times a day and only wear underwear when i need to go out of the house. The only soap that removes the smell for awhile is dial with triclosan and the only deodorant that works is mitchumm gel.
Have you been tested for Trimethylaminuria?

M