Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplainable hunger and nausea

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplainable hunger and nausea

For the past month and a half or so, I've been feeling incredibly nauseous for the entire day, and when I try to eat, I just gag and feel sicker, but usually I force something down anyway. Then, for the past few days I've felt extreme hunger on top of the nausea. What I eat always stays down, but I'll be gagging periodically for a little while afterwards (I think from the hunger pangs coming back).
Two years ago I had problems with my bowels, where I was only going once a week and was extremely constipated because of it. They put me through the whole bowel retraining process during which I lost 10 pounds (from 100 to 90) but I seemed to be doing okay up until this summer. I had morning nausea during school, but I speculate that it's nerves as I'm a very anxious person, and it always went away after a half hour or so.
My point with mentioning my previous bowel problems is because I'm curious as to whether what I'm experiencing now is somehow related, or if this is a separate (possibly serious, but hopefully not) thing that needs to be addressed.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You will be surprised to know that stomach ulcers and severe acidity can result in hunger pangs and nausea. Even GERD presents with similar symptoms. At times the hunger pangs due to acidity wakes up a person in the wee hours of night.
Treatment is a combination of drugs and lifestyle changes.
Omeprazole is a good drug to combat this. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food.
This problem may be related to your previous problem or could be an independent one. Consult your gastroenterologist once.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Avatar n tn
Thanks for the reply.
Are stomach ulcers and severe acidity really bad/serious?
And could Zantac, Pepto or Gravol help at all until I can get myself an appointment with my doctor?
Left untreated they can be serious. Yes, any of the medicines you mentioned can help. Along with that practice the lifestyle changes I mentioned earlier.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!