Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained Ankle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplained Ankle pain

I am a male 57 years of age with increasing ankle pain. Pain started over 10 years ago and is now at a point where walking is difficult. I have visited doctors/specialists/physiotherapists/acupunture/podiatrist over the last 5 years with the latest answer from my specialist being that he is unable to explain why the pain in the ankle continues. I suffer from Parkinson's Disease, but my Neurologist indicates that this should not be a factor. The ankle specialists have performed an arthroscopy which was later followed by an ankle cortisone injection and later on by a period of 3 months on anti inflamatory medication. The pain will not subside and in fact is getting worse. The specialist says he has no answer and that I should get around the best way I can!!!!
Can anybody suggest any possible causes for this unexplained ankle pain which shows no swelling, but is quite severe and inhibits walking.

Seibie
-1 Comments
You might go see an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. Do your research on the net. Go to a large city where there are specialists. I had arthroscopic surgery in 2004 for ankle pain that was diagnosed as osteochondritis dessicans of the talus. Condition can develop into arthritis. The surgery helped but am now going back as the pain is back. Good luck!

Frances
I share  your pain, althought my ankle/foot problems started only a few months ago.  I've been to my regular physician and an orthopedist, and have had a bone scan, an ultra-sound check on the circulation, special orthoptic shoe inserts, 3 or 4 pain killers, anti-inflamatories, and none are effective.  Worst time is at night, the pain wakes me up and I have to get out of bed and walk around for a few minutes to get some relief.  If you should happen upon some effective treatment, please pass it along.
Best wishes.

Lawrence
I have almost the same problem,my right ankle is painful wid swelling also,Ortho.diagonised as Calcaneal spur after taking an X ray-- because I'm flatfeet.The pain is Throbbing when resting,walking,standing and also while sleeping in the night..Doctor suggested ONLY ultraviolet treatment and some fomentations to be done at home and  NO medicines or injections as I had a kidney transplant a year back.I'm wearing orthotic footwear with arch support.This pain I'm having for the past 2 months.
Last Nov. I sprained my ankle and it's been fine.  However last Thursday while eating supper my right ankle started killing me and when I got up I couldn't walk on it.  I have osteo, FM, and have a buldging disc in the area between my shoulder.  I have had back surgery years ago and shoulder surgery that created more problems, in my neck,etc.  I also take thyroid meds, and pain meds, and lyrica.  Is it possible that my ankle problem might be gout?  Any ideas or thoughts would be great.  Thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? What are associated symptoms present? In addition to ankle sprains and other injuries, ankle pain can be caused by arthritis, gout, pseudogout, and infection. Gout occurs when you produce too much uric acid and gets deposited and forms crystals in joints, rather than being excreted in the urine. Pseudogout is similar to gout. In this condition, calcium deposits in one or more of your joints, causing pain, redness, and swelling. It would be good to see your doctor for proper evaluation such as blood tests to check your uric acid levels or infection and proper management.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
i know what your all going through. about 7 or 8 years ago i started to get this pain in my left ankle. i had x-ray after x-ray and saw so many doctors i got so fed up. it got the stage where the pain was that bad i was begging every doctor i saw to cut my foot off in the hope the pain would go away. in the end they put a plater cast on my leg to see if that helped. it did while it was on but the minute they took it off i was back to square 1. it was only by chance that i surgon was looking at my last lot x-rays when he noticed i had something called an extra nurvicular bone in my foot. this is pass down through the family. my great grandad had it but no one knew what it was then. i had the bone removed and now the pain is gone. would you all please mention this to the next doctor you see as it maybe this that is causing you all pain. it is quite common by they way. people just dont know how to find it. most of the doctors i've spoken to dont even know about it.
I have had ankle pain for more than a year. The sharp pain starting under my ankle, left side of left foot, seems to shoot across my foot, lasts for anything up to a minute or so and afterward sometimes I am left with an ache on the left side of my foot which interferes with walking. This is how the pain has been for well over a year, now it seems to be painful most of the time with the added sharp pain. It's my left foot and the pain is on the left side, it seems to stem from under the ankle.  I have had xrays and ultra sound, nothing shows.  I have seen an orthopedic surgeon who is not sure of diagnosis but recommends a cortisone injection to see if that works, I don't like the sound of that. Has anyone tried and had success with cortisone injections?
You wrote the book which describes what I went through in the years
1978 to 1995. After seeing my last Specialist, the 10th, a pain doctor who said to me  I can't help you I returned to my GP.He said to me you
have tried every thing else you may as well try this. He perscribed Sulfate of Quine normally perscribed for Maleria (malaria) but has the side effect of
giving relief to people who suffer from Restless Leg Syndrom (syndrome), pains in rhe legs at night. IT WAS MAGIC. After 2 weeks the pain started to diminish and by 4 weeks the pain was gone!!! I took a pill every day untill
about a year ago when my Heart doctor took me off the  medication. A BIG MISTAKE! The pain returned. I'm back on the pill again but it took some weeks with the help of Massage to be pain free! Good Luck!!!  Ted , Nova Scotia. Canada  PS This pain was in my right ankle and lower leg.                              
A related discussion, wrestless legs and swollen ankles was started.