Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained Joint Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplained Joint Pain

For about the last 3 years I have had random bouts of joint pain.
I have been to my PCP and a rheumotologist. My thyroid levels are normal, no rheumotoid factor, normal ANA, no lyme, no iron deciciances, normal blood sugar
No fevers
Pain comes and goes with no Rhyme or reason, severity varies, place of pain varies wrist knees shoulders back neck fingers muscles. I don't respond to any medicines. No change in diet works, no patterns can be traced. Often there is fatigue. I fall asleep with no problems. No redness or swelling visible
Pain and stiffness tend to heighten at night vs the morning
Symptoms are atypical of osteoarthritis
I have tried anti depressants
Pain is non stress related
Possible Fibromyalgia, but no offical diagnosis
I sometimes doubt my pain until I am having another episode
which can be a few days to a few weeks
There is probably nothing anyone can say that hasn't been said, but I thought it was a shot.
If anyone has any similar stories or leads plase let me know. I am fortunate to live in the greater Boston area where there are lots if great DOCS, but i need to know who to go to
Look up seronegative arthritis. There are autoimmune arthritis conditions that do not show up on bloodwork. A very good test for it is to take a 2 week tapering course of prednisone. If your symptoms improve after a few days, and then get worse when you stop, that is a strong indicator that you have a rheumatologic condition.
Has anyone tested you for lyme?  My Mom had something like that and they said she had lyme desease.  Hope you feel better soon
With Lyme Disease testing there are a lot of false negatives, I'm afraid. And you said you live in the Boston area? Lyme Disease is an epidemic in eastern Mass./Cape Cod/Islands!

Investigate the idea that it may be Lyme.

Good luck!
I also have been having problems with joint pain, fatigue, and low grade fevers...for the past six weeks.  My life has been turned upside down over night!  Do you respond to ibuprofen?  I had a dr. tell me it was Bartonella bacteria.  You may want to check that one, it's related somehow to lyme disease.  Visit wwwtheroadback.org for more info.
I am unsure as to whether or not that is really my problem because another dr. tells me it's a form of arthritis...still waiting on the verdict, but my RH factor has been negative in 2-3 tests already.  This is all very frustrating!  I wish you the very best.
same thing here.  I am 33 yo.  negative tests for lyme, lupos, thyroid, rheumatoid arthritis, liver, kidney, .....and i even have low inflammation in my system according to blood tests.  several tests for lyme have showed up negative, even the senstive one.  so no false negative (altough false positive is the most common result).  no muscle pain, so sounds like fibermyalgia (fibromyalgia) is ruled out.

diet changes haven't worked, nor have Rx drugs.

Pain is progressing, hard to walk up stairs, sit, stand, sleep.  only comfortable position is standing.  pain in knees, hips, shoulders, fingers, wrists, one foot (for now).  missing days of work. I used to be so active.  now can't do anything.

docs don't know what is wrong, nor do they seem to care.  anyone have any ideas?  as this is affecting my quality of life and my job, i am losing hope here.

Dawn in DC
You can have arthiriti and a neg RA and ANA factor. That is one of the diagnostic factors for Psoriatic Arthritis. Do you have psoriasis, or any skin rashes? Also, if it is arthritis you WILL see changes on xray. Have they done any xrays. If not then you need to watch and see if your pain is activity related? You say that your muscles hurt as opposed to your joints. You may want to consider seeing a neurologist. Look up metabolic myopathy and see if those symptoms sound like what your experiencing. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hello!
Check out the symptoms of hyperparathyroidism...doc don't look for it, as it is pretty uncommon...link is Parathyroid.com  This may not be it, but may point you in the right direction...
im 18 and i have been having the same random joint pain for almost a year. its in my wrists elbows knees and ankles and the pain varies and last from a few seconds to days and its in random joints at random times and nothing seems to be helping my pain. ive been to an arthritis specialist and he said its not arthritis cuz there is no swelling and that i shouldnt take any anti inflamatories cuz there is no sweeling that was back in march and i was at my doctor about a week ago and he said that he doesnt know what it is but it might be vitamin d deficiency but i looked that up and i dont have any symptoms of that either. he prescribed me motrin and said i need the anti inflamatory even though there is no inflamation (inflammation). i am almost always in pain from one or more of my joints but it had been bareable untill recently when i have been having to stay home because i could not stand. the pain is sometimes like a squeezing, or poking, or like pressure from the center of the joint pushing out....the last one is the most painful....i have been test for just about everything that could possibly cause joint pain and all the results came back normal....i just want to know whats wrong with me...even if there is no cure or treatment at least i would know what is causing it.....
A related discussion, Traveling joint pain was started.
A related discussion, What's my problem?!!!!!!!! was started.
I have dealt with the same things since 1979.... still not diagnosed! Read my post "what is wrong with me?!!" for a more detailed explanation of my long-time battle with the "unknown disease", if it still applies this many years later...
:~) Miss G
Ooops, I mean "What's my problem" ;~)