Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained Severe Weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Unexplained Severe Weakness

Hi, Ive been experiencing a myriad of what I call, "random" symptoms. I am a 28 yo female. I have been previously diagnosed with Basilar Migraine, Arterial Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS), Narcolepsy, Trochanteric Bursitis (bilateral), Endometriosis, and I still suffer from numbness/tingling/burning of my feet up to middle calf which is under evaluation for possible Cervical spine issue (have a bulge at C4 non compressing) or small fiber sensory neuropathy (SFNS). Worse of all, this unexplained weakness comes and goes with no apparent reason. the weakness episodes happen without migraine and feels like my core strength is getting sucked out of my body, where I can feel the change in my body all the way to my finger tips. I also lose my ability to stand when its at its worse. In addition, I have been to the ER and screened for strokes more than once. My speech is slurred, it is hard for me to walk (if I am even standing) - its like I am dragging my feet.  I also cannot hold anything as my hands are so weak (weaker than they are with the TOS). In addition, I sometimes get a burning and numbness on the side of my face. My mom has told me that my face looks different. I never check out for stroke, and I end up leaving the ER without and meds or anything that might indicate the problem. My blood work always checks out, and so does the brain MRI that is done. Ive been to numerous neurologists, internal medicine, been to MS specialists, and still no answers. Of all the conditions listed above, no one can draw any connection to them - as a symptom. A couple conditions have been suggested as possibilities with no real investigation - Hashimotos Encephalopathy, MS, and another obscure condition that I cant even remember. My weakness is being coined as chronic Fatigue syndrome, but I am not sure that it is that, as CFS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Ive also had numerous MRIs (Brain, C, T, L spines), spinal tap, brain MRA, nerve tests, blood work, cervical biofeedback, steroid injections, unbelieveable amount of medication, I have no idea what causes it, so the meds are to treat symptoms, but cannot prevent the episodes. Ive been tested for pretty much all common disorders by now. This issue started in 2008. I keep getting told by one of my neurologists that he really beleives that I am in a early stage of MS, but nothing can be confirmed by MRI or spinal tap.

I am at a loss, as this condition is scary and embarrassing, plus I am young and this wasnt happening before. Ive been active in sports and activities my whole life and I am now pretty much restricted as to prevent these episodes. Physical activity seems to bring on more bouts of this weakness. Dont want to go through too much more invasive testing, unless its totally necessary. Any ideas on where to go next? Not sure if this is related to the other conditions Ive been diagnosed with or if its separate issue. Please help.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
This type of extreme weakness can be due to due to pinched cervical spinal nerve. Brain injuries, tumors, transient ischemic attacks and bleed in the brain have to be ruled out in your case. Hypoglycemia, severe anemia and vasovagal attacks are common causes of such weaknesses. It can also be MS but other causes need to be ruled out. It can also be a sleep related disorder with extreme sleep deprivation.
However, what you suffer from is probably a vasovagal syncope or a vasovagal attack. The complex group of symptoms are mediated by the vagus nerve. This nerve is irritated by prolonged standing, standing up suddenly, stress, pain, hunger, dehydration, intense emotion etc.  A tilt table test, holter monitor, echocardiogram etc are done for confirmed diagnosis. Discuss this with your doctor.
Since it does not always happen, go back to the few episodes and see what the trigger was. Try and avoid the trigger which may be as simple as standing up suddenly on an empty stomach. Sit down immediately and place your head between the knees. Let the episode pass.
Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
I feel for you!  I am sorry you are going through all of this.  It is so frustrating. I wish I could give you some magical direction to go in, but I don't have that ability.  I sure hope you get some answers and some guidance that brings you peace--or better yet permanent remittance!  I too do not have answers for what ails me, but I have found quite a measure of relief on this site.  The good nature and wisdom of the posts make for some consolation.  Sometimes it is enough (temporarily) to know we are not alone.

Take care and God bless,

Joyce

have them do a brain mri that will be able to tell also if you have ms. as far as weakness in your hands you probably have rheumatoid arthritis.