Unexplained Weight Gain
I'm a 34 year old female who has always been active in sports. I've always been relatively thin, and never had to worry about my weight. Over the past year, I've gained 30 pounds even though my diet and exercise habits have not changed. If anything, I've begun eating healthier to try to lose the weight. I've been to my regular doctor twice b/c I have had trouble with bowel movements, sometimes going 3 or 4 days without one. I've since starting eating 1 or 2 apples a day, and have had regular bowel movements. I exercise 5 or 6 days a week for 30 min. or more, plus weight training. Despite all of this, I continue to gain weight and feel bloated all the time. My doctor has dismissed it twice advising me to eat more fiber, which I do. I'm frustrated! I know my body, and I expect it to change as I get older, but I do not think this is normal.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Unexplained weight gain can be due to underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism. Another possibility is diabetes. In women certain hormonal changes result in water retention, a feeling of bloated-ness and weight gain. In premenopause women the fluctuating oestrogen level is often the culprit. Insulin resistance and adrenal gland dysfunction too can cause weight gain. Apart from a physician you should consult your gynecologist too.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Just want to add one more consideration - some people with poor sleep for whatever reason tend to gain weight due to the appetite hormones being affected - especially those with sleep apnea, due to the stress hormones, If all the things the doctor above named weren't checked, sounds like you've got some testing to get done. Thirty unexplained pounds in one year is not something I think should be dismissed.