Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained abdominal/arm swelling and pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

First off, I was diagnosed with Barrett's about a year ago.  It was in the very first stages and my GI wasn't too worried about it.  I just have to get yearly endoscopy's to check up on it, which one is coming up.  Now, for the past month, I've been having pain in my upper left abdomen that has been getting progressively worse.  The pain has now spread to my back and other parts of my abdomen and into my chest.  It is so bad now that it keeps me up at night.

I've noticed for the past two nights that my arms and abdomen have been retaining fluid.  When I press on the skin, it feels almost spongy, like there is something under it.  It doesn't leave a mark when I press the skin.  When I wake up in the morning, most of whatever is there is gone.

I've told my GI doctor about the stomach pain and he ordered a bunch of tests.  The following tests were abnormal:

Lymph % = 41.4
MPV = 6.6
Bicarbonate = 30

I guess I'm not all that worried about it, but the pain is really starting to ramp up.  I guess I'll know more next week after my endo and MRI.  If anyone has any ideas what could be causing the swelling, I'd like to hear them.

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you have is probably costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. The inflammation could be causing fluid retention. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs.
The other possibility (less likely) is worsening of Barrett’s esophagus causing maybe cancer. It can also be pinched nerve or blood vessel.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you for your reply.  I had my MRI and everything was normal except for my right kidney.  Could you tell me what "Prominent right renal calyces, in particular the upper pole with mild dilation of the proximal right ureter" means?  I've been searching for it on google, but all I can find are a few references in journals and old texts.  Also, I'm still waiting to have an endoscopy.

Thanks again.