Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Unexplained hoarseness and raspiness in voice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Over the last 6 months or more I've noticed a hoarseness, raspiness and cracking in my voice that was never there before. I had an endoscopy (checking for GERD because of some gastro problems I've had) this last Winter and everything looked fine.
I didn't think much of this until it wasn't going away and I mentioned it to my pcp and since I was going to see an ENT doctor anyway for something else I also mentioned it to him. I did tell him that I used to be a smoker but quit 16 years ago.
He put this tube through my nose and checked my vocal cords and surrounding area and said everything looked normal. He said it could be I was just straining my voice and said if it continued he could recommend speech but I don't see why I'd need that. I haven't done anything different this last year that would have strained my voice. I'm not talking any different than ever before either. I'm not a singer and I don't yell either so how could I have strained my voice when it's constantly there?
I just don't understand why my voice sounds strained and raspy all the time anymore and tends to crack when I've done nothing different. It even sounds like that first thing in the morning when I've rested my voice all night so how can it be that I've just strained my voice when it's like this all the time anymore?  
Is there nothing else that can be done then?  Does anyone have any idea why my voice is like this? This doesn't even sound like me anymore. It just doesn't feel "right" to me.
My voice and throat do feel constantly srained anymore no matter how much or how little I talk. I don't like this. Do I need to just accept this? Is there nothing that can give me back my voice? Is there anything else I can try? Should I go back to an ENT doctor?
Hi since youve been to the ENT and he as checked your vocal chords, and he said looked normal.
Have you had your thyroid ultrasound scanned, because you can have nodules on the thyroid, which is in the throat, and these can cause hoarseness, and like a raspy feeling in the throat and voice.
I would have a thyroid blood test, and ultrasound of the thyroid, as this is were your problem might lie.
I had a nodule on my thyroid, and it caused me hoarseness in the voice.
Hope this helps,
Nicola
Hope this helps,
Nicola
I had my thyroid tested through a blood test a few months ago. Would that show anything?
Hi even though you have had a thyroid blood test, and maybe it was normal.
Doesnt mean to say you havent got a nodule on the thyroid.
My suggestion to you would be to ask your GP for a simple thyroid ultrasound scan to check for swelling, or a thyroid nodule, or adenoma.
You can have nodules, and still have normal thyroid bloodwork.
Nodules, can cause hoarseness in the voice,
Your GP should be looking for the cause to your hoarseness, and not take it lightly.
Best of luck.
Dont forget now THYROID ULTRASOUND SCAN.
Is what you ask for.
Take care, im here if you need anymore information

Nicola
Thanks Nicola, I'll ask about that. I hate to do it right now because they're looking into why I'm getting all these headaches so we're concentrating on that right now. I will mention it him next time I go in though. Thanks again for the suggestions and helpful advice!
It could possibly be allergy related - either just pollen irritating your throat or even post nasal drip that is causing problems.  Maybe give an over the counter antihistamine type medication a try to see if it helps.
Thanks, yeah, I do get allergies, especially pollen. I do take allergy medicine when it gets bad.
I just don't know what this is or why it's changed over the last 7 months when I've always had allergies and haven't noticed anything else different. I guess I'll just have to keep trying stuff till I find something that works.