Unexplained mass in upper right abdomen!!!
Hi I gave birth to my daughter in Nov 2006 and when she was a few months old i noticed a lump in my upper stomach just under my ribs on the right. I of course went to the Dr who did an ultrasound and then a CT scan to check it out. However both times they came up with nothing. They can feel the lump but it doesnt show up on the scans. My liver was fine both times as that was my main concern. They came to the conclusion that it was muscular caused by pregnancy or childbirth. Apparently all the muscles overlap and interlock in the abdomen and they assume they have formed a knot like mass. It only causes discomfort every couple of ,months when I have overdone it physically. hence this is when i start wondering about it again. Has anyone ever experienced something like this or know what it may be? do muscles normally show up in scans?? Thanks

It could be nothing to worry about - just fat tissue.

Most often, a lump in the abdomen is caused by a hernia. An abdominal hernia occurs when there is an area where the muscles are weak, and this allows the internal organs to bulge through the abdominal wall.

The further plan of management would involve -

'-Blood tests including full blood count, electrolytes, urea, creatinine, liver function tests, pregnancy test and lipase.
-Urinalysis
-Imaging including erect chest X-ray and plain films of the abdomen
-An electrocardiograph to rule out a heart attack which can occasionally present as abdominal pain

If diagnosis remains unclear after history, examination and basic investigations as above then more advanced investigations may reveal a diagnosis. These as such would include

-Computed Tomography of the abdomen/pelvis
-Abdominal or pelvic ultrasound
-Endoscopy and colonoscopy'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_pain

Let us know about what your doctor advises and if you need any further information.

Regards.